half hour of sanity

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Who else enjoys The News Quiz ???

It's our half-hour of sanity each week, jealously guarded. Just listened to the last episode of the current series ... gotta wait now until the next series starts. Up the Danes !!! Sandi Toksvig forever !!! Jeremy Hardy is wonderful too along with Susan Calman ... indeed they're all good.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Elen, I love the news quiz. If fact 6:30 'till the end of the Archers is a time I like every weekday (well unless Count Arthur Strong is on). It's not sacrosanct but if I can, on goes the radio and all's well and chuckly with the world. Whistling For The Elephants by Sandi Toksvig is quite a good read if you haven't done so. But no telly does make life nicer as if needs be I can get on with stuff and not sit glued. I'm amazed at how many others are doing without one now. Cheers GB

Elen Sentier

I've not read Sandi's book - it's now on the list. We have Tv too as we both like watching some stuff as well as watching videos. I'm certainly not glued to it and we like the iPlayer stuff so we can watch the progs we want when we want rather than being ruled by the Tv's schedule :). We're also very much radio 3 & 4 fans.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do use Iplayer and Channel 5's player, though I don't use C4 or ITV as you have to log in register. Got a DAB radio for my Christmas and have been discovering things like R4 extra which is excellent. Not really keen on music stations all that much, apart from when the God botherers take over R4 on a Sunday. though the Reverend Cole on a Saturday morning is a hoot. You might like this LINK, Sandi Toksvig and Henning When one of my fave comedians.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yes, News Quiz and Quote Unquote are good to listen to while I am cooking. Can't get on with some of the other comedy shows in that spot though.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
News quiz, Old harries game, The unbelievable truth, Material world, desert island discs (depends who is on), In our time, and cannot miss Jarvis Covkers two shows - "Jarvis Cockers Sunday service" and "Jarvis Cockers Wireless nights" both stunning listening. Both are on their second series.

Never listen to any of them live always on iplayer.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh smart with the DAB! We really like radio 4Extra too - some excellent plays as well as other stuff.

Some really good plays, very good story telling. I do like Woman's Hour too, it seemingly has a very high male listenership. And at nigh time there's Book at bedtime, Sailing By, and the shipping forecast. I miss Charlotte Green's voice as there was something lovely about it and she liked a giggle on air.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've never had a telly at all, the memories of it at home when I was a kid still p155 me off.............................Radio 4 keeps me informed and entertained as much as I need to be from outside sources, and as Goatboy says listening to the wireless frees you up to cook and do all the regular stuff that has to be done on a daily basis.

The DAB thing would get my vote if the reception was acceptable - most of the time it either sounds like boiling mud or else drives me mental by cutting out all the time, usually just when I'm enjoying Humphries giving someone a yup of what for..........................atb mac

Elen Sentier

Some really good plays, very good story telling. I do like Woman's Hour too, it seemingly has a very high male listenership. And at nigh time there's Book at bedtime, Sailing By, and the shipping forecast. I miss Charlotte Green's voice as there was something lovely about it and she liked a giggle on air.

Another shipping forecast addict ... well 2 actually, as He likes it too :D It's such a grand way to travel round Britain

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I used to listen to it but stopped.

I got fed up with the scripted rants by Jeremy Hardy, not to mention the overt bias of the programme in general.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
:bigok:I see Mr Humphries won the Sony Radio Journalism award tonight. Well done that man.goodjob

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I recently trawled through Desert Island Discs archive and downloaded a huge amount of interviews for my little hospital trip coming up. Been hard not to listen in early though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Brambles, they're watching me at C4, I used your link and got this in my inbox today. Not that I'm paranoid. And I'm sorry, up here "A word to the wise" is usually a threat. :theyareon

"

Hi there,
A word to the wise...
ImageProxy.mvc

Channel 4 have made a commitment to keep you, our registered viewers, informed. Today, we wanted to let you know we’ve made some adjustments to our Privacy Policy.

We're making these changes to our Privacy Policy because we now ask users to provide more information at the point of registration. We therefore want to be clear about how we collect this information, what exactly we collect, and what we do with it, in line with our Viewer Promise.

We believe that knowing more about our viewers will help us communicate more relevant information about the programmes and services we offer and deliver a more personalised advertising experience to you.

In short, we want to tell you more about the stuff you really want to hear about...

Thanks,

The Channel 4 team"

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I would'nt be worried, it's just blurb that was sent because you were logged into a YouTube account when watching, covers their back for using targetted advertising. You can watch the vids without being logged to an account so there's no Big Brother shenanigans going on ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I would'nt be worried, it's just blurb that was sent because you were logged into a YouTube account when watching, covers their back for using targetted advertising. You can watch the vids without being logged to an account so there's no Big Brother shenanigans going on ;)

I know, it was just the "Word to the wise" phrase that made me laugh, seemed aggressive.

Cheers,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE