Haithabutashe leatherwork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baaf

Oct 18, 2009
Netherlands
Hi everybody,

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while now, and i must say it's inspiring, especially the diy-section. So it's time for some positive payback time.
I'm interested in experimentel archeolegy and reenactment, concentrated on mostly iron-age and early medieval times. Two years ago i was inspired by Holzfunde von Haithabu written by Florian Westphal. It's an awsome book about medieval woodworking and it described different "Taschenbügel" or baghandles. These handles were connected to an shoulderstrap and below the handles would an hang a bag. When the bag was slung on the shoulder the weight of the bag, connected to the shoulderstrap would automaticly close the bag.
Simple but ingenius.
As i wanted an small bag to carry around but didn't want the weight of a bag on my belt this was a perfect option. I decided to make one but as always i was sloppy and got distracted after finishing the oak handles. 3 month's ago i picked it up again and I finished it after a month. This is the result:

My leather interpretation of a Haithabutasche. Its a small shoulderbag designed for some small items, a firekit, a small knive etc. I made the shouldersstrap long on purpuse so i can position it just above my bottom and strap it down with a belt.This makes sure that if a want to run i'm not bothered by a the bag. Secondly its possible to carry an bigger ruksack on my shoulders at the same time.
The handles are oak, the patern of the handles isn't authentic but plausible. It's a mix off different finds. The leather is vegtable tanned harness leather about 4 mm thick. Stiched with uncoloured linnen thread. Afther stiching I wetmoulded the bag. The bag is made out off 3 different sections. Next time I would make the sides broader at the base and smaller higher up so the bag would have more capacity. But for now, i'm rather pleased.

6808983759_7abdb17df4.jpg

6808968903_1ffedeca18.jpg

6808964767_d3d854ab54.jpg

6808952643_ce70226e67.jpg

6808960145_8e0062a831.jpg

6808820521_5bba5a12fa.jpg

Thanks for watching, all comments are welcome.

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
all im getting is a block of text and no hint of photo's or placeholders:confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't seem to get the photo's in post only the links, could anybody offer some assistance?

I'll have a look, it'll come up as though I've edited, but all I'm doing is looking to see if it's something simple I can sort to show the photos.

cheers,
Toddy

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Let's try something.....

try 1 no joy....

try 2 no joy....

Think it might be to do with sharing being disabled on the flickr account.

If you click one of the links you can see the pics in a slideshow. Nice workmanship!!!

With a bit of jiggery pokery (attempting to send share the pic via email, then copying the location of the thumbnail) I got a thumbnail, but no other way I could find makes it available as a .jpg

6808824611_a95ae2f9db_t.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm being a total computer clutz here, sorry :eek: but none of my usual fixes works on this.
Anyone ?
Tell me what to do to fix it and I'll see if I can, if Baaf can't.

Bag sounds interesting :D

cheers,
M

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
nope nothing, i do notice that some of the notification emails reference Flicker URLs, wonder if that's something to do with it?

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Seems to be working fine for me in Firefox !:confused:

Oh that is just the links, I see the X in IE

MB

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE