Habitat with most odds off obtaining all your wild food needs in the U.K.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
being a 'wildfowler' I often get to eat migratory ducks and geese. These are not the fatty farm reared tasteless stuff that you get from Tescos or Aldis. These have little to no fat, like many wild animals. In fact when cooking them you often add fat to increase the flavour and to stop the meat from drying out.
Eat the entire duck head brain liver n all

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
The only way to survive successfully off the land is if the population is about 5% of what it is now. Nature's biomass needs to be far greater than that of human civilisation. Currently human civilisation is greater than the biomass of Nature.
This thread is for fun I meant 1 person's needs met not entire country.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eat the entire duck head brain liver n all

I'm a good vegetarian, I can foresee no circumstances where I could ever find duck heads palatable.
That said, my Grandpa loved a singed sheep's heid.
My Granny insisted that Grandpa singed....singe.... as in burnt off, the fur, etc. outside. The head was then roasted and he ate the brains with a horn spoon, and black pepper. He lived healthily until his late 90's.
Now, thanks to scrapie, etc., the dish is totally banned.

We still make haggis though.... doing it at home from scratch it's stomach churning to most of us. The lungs have to be boiled to get the mucous out. The trachea was left to hang over the edge of the pot so that it bubbled out. When the lungs are cooled enough to handle the trachea and the tough bronchiole bits are cut away. Then the lungs are minced.

Humanity has a long history of making stuff edible by cooking it.
I still don't think I could ever be hungry enough to eat some things I know are edible though....that's another long human history. Like Brits don't eat horses or dogs kind of thing. I don't see many being at all interested in eating duck bills. Put them in the stock pot and boil them up with the bones though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm a good vegetarian, I can foresee no circumstances where I could ever find duck heads palatable.
My Granny insisted that Grandpa singed....singe.... as in burnt off, the fur, etc. outside. The head was then roasted and he ate the brains with a horn spoon, and black pepper. He lived healthily until his late 90's.

We still make haggis though.... doing it at home from scratch it's stomach churning to most of us. The lungs have to be boiled to get the mucous out. The trachea was left to hang over the edge of the pot so that it bubbled out. When the lungs are cooled enough to handle the trachea and the tough bronchiole bits are cut away. Then the lungs are minced.

I still don't think I could ever be hungry enough to eat some things I know are edible though....that's another long human history. Like Brits don't eat horses or dogs kind of thing. I don't see many being at all interested in eating duck bills. Put them in the stock pot and boil them up with the bones though.

I've never understood that cultural difference considering France and England used to have far better relationships at periods of history.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When our parents and grandparents, great grandparents, etc., were keeping the home fires burning during WW2, no one here starved. No one here had any reason to have a poor diet. There were huge efforts made to make the most of what we had, to manage to keep the entire nation healthy.

That wasn't the case elsewhere.
We were very fortunate as well as very organised, and though the UK was bombed, it's farmland was never obliterated the way fields abroad were.

Every scrap of uneaten food was saved and boiled up and fed to the pigs....so there was still bacon. Limited but there was bacon, and butcher meat, and eggs, and everyone had a right to a share.
Horses were both the engines of the farms and the transport and the steeds of the military and not seen as food.

It's a cultural difference that was reinforced by the lack of dire necessity. We never needed to boil up leather to make it palatable, we never needed to roast tree inner bark to eke out flour, nor grind up eggshells to make sure our children had enough calcium.

It's not just WW1 or 2 though, it goes back for centuries. Napoleonic wars, and so on.

The British Isles have not been successfully invaded in a very long time. I know the British Channel islands were not so lucky, and they endured the hardships of occupation; I'm not belittling that.

The Romans thought horse and dog meat to be profane, and it was only offered to the gods of the underworld.

I think it was Pope Gregory who banned the eating of horses in the 700's, though a pagan rite survived in Germany, and then the French really took to eating the horses after their revolution, because horses were of the nobility :rolleyes:

So, basically Brits just never did eat horses, or dogs, not since Britain became recognisably Britain.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know someone who insists on adding the giblets to the soup because she loves sooking the meat and juices off the bones.

I think folk are weird :)

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan

In that situation beggars carnt be choosers the choosy die.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Mmm... not according to my dataset - Brain (pork or beef) per 100g has 10 to 12g fat and 130-150kcal. It also contains a lot of cholesterol.
Mmm... not according to my dataset - Brain (pork or beef) per 100g has 10 to 12g fat and 130-150kcal. It also contains a lot of cholesterol.
A cows brain weighs about a 1lb it seems you are right though' some animals have very fatty brains though aquatic animals full off DHA ,12 x5 is 60gfat not bad.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
No they don't! Humans create the cholesterol they need in the liver.
No they don't! Humans create the cholesterol they need in the liver.
Have u read nutrition and physical degeneration by western a price? animal foods are important all tribes eat high cholesterol foods.U can survive as a veggie or vegan but try healing broken bones or owning zero tooth cavities like me without eating high mineral seafoods. prawns are high in cholesterol but still a very healthy food.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My sons are vegetarian, and neither has a single missing tooth or filling.

That arguement has long been disproven. Whole cultures are vegetarian.

Reactions: gg012
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE