Hárrejávri, Kiruna, Sweden (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
This trip was last year, around Easter 2014 so just getting round to posting a few pictures. I had an invite from a friend to go and visit her relatives just north of Kiruna.
Rog has a hut on the banks of a small lake Hárrejávri. The hut has been gifted to him as he is Sami and he has his own little part of the Lapland wilderness, He spends a good bit of the time here in winter and I can see why.
Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 08.00.50.jpg

The initial flight was to Stockholm and an overnighter. We were staying with friends at a beautiful place called Sigtuna, which dates back to a medieval settlement. On arrival in Sigtuna a party was in full swing at the house and there were already several drunken Swedes to welcome us.
DSCN2811.jpg

The next morning it was a short hop up to Kiruna from Arlanda Airport.
DSCN2823.jpg

Ron met us in Kiruna, which is a curious place. The main industry is the Iron Ore Mine. The village is being moved several kilometres away to make room for the expansion of the mine.
The only way to get out to the hut was by snowmobile. Luckily there was still quite a bit of snow, but the daytime temperatures made it soft going and easy to bog the machines down if you lost concentration and went off the marked route. You can see how much the machines sank from the tracks I left.
DSCN2912.jpg

The lakes were still thickly frozen and once we got onto them they made easy going. A decent gap is needed between the machines so as to leave plenty of time to react if the lead snow mobile breaks through the ice !
DSCN2996.jpg

I was glad of my earplugs after an hour on a two stroke snow mobile and we made good time to the hut. The hut would be home for the week. Rog had been staying out there for most of the winter, so it was already warm and cosy.
DSCN2843.jpgDSCN2849.jpgDSCN2848.jpg

First things were to sort out drinking water and firewood. Water is collected straight from the lake and doesn't need any purification. Plastic jerrycans are filled and left in the porch of the hut. A little effort is required to break the ice at the borehole, which refreezes every night.
DSCN2859.jpgDSCN2857.jpgDSCN2976.jpg

The main lake has Pike and Grayling, with the higher lakes having Char. We would be eating fish to supplement the rations we brought with us (and stashed in the Bear safe). We set out to bore holes in the ice and set the fish traps.
DSCN2906.jpgDSCN2894.jpg

Pike caught in the traps.....
DSCN2952.jpgDSCN3003.jpg

...made the evening meal. Rog preparing the fish. (wearing his traditional reindeer skin boots).
DSCN2982.jpgDSCN2991.jpg

The scope of the vast open space was pretty inspiring. Apart from a neighbouring hut thee is nothing around.
DSCN2896.jpgDSCN2908.jpgDSCN3005.jpg

I tried fishing at the higher lakes using a technique called 'pimpling', but it was still too cold for the Char to come out of the depths.
DSCN2958.jpg

Stockholm on the way home gave a good opportunity to be a tourist for the day. Coffee and cake. Stockholm Cathedral and the Vasa ship museum
DSCN2746.jpgDSCN2753.jpgDSCN2774.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2850.jpg
    DSCN2850.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN2851.jpg
    DSCN2851.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN2852.jpg
    DSCN2852.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Wow! What an amazing experience. To learn fishing frozen lakes from a Sami who knows what he's doing must have been fantastic. Thanks for posting. :)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Lovely pictures looks like you had a great time thanks for making us all green with envy 😉👍

Sent from somewhere?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Stunning photos! Thanks for posting them!

Our trip has been postponed for a while as abroad is too far until we're a bit less busy, makes me long to go :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Great thread. Looks like a great trip. Im sure you could teach us a thing or two about fishing frozen lakes.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Looks like a very successful trip! :D

How did you like the reindeer boots?

Thanks, It was my idea of heaven :) Unfortunately I didn't get to wear the Reindeer boots, they were too small for me, and I get the impression the owner wasn't giving them up for anything ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE