Guys and Gals I have a question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Derri

May 21, 2013
Lincoln - UK
I have been looking round various websites, but they are all so different, what would be the top 5 topics that people on here would like to see talked about etc, on a website, especially for the likes of us newbies out there. would it be how to get prepared, equipment, etc. I know everyone has a different angle from which they arrive, but just curious. Thanks

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Derri,

Thinking back with hindsight to when i was just starting out i suppose i would have liked to have had access to an easy to follow idiots guide to -
Basic kit requirements includig ideas for homemade equipment
Firelighting and cooking
Shelter
Tools and their safe use
projects such as spoon carving, making tent pegs and pot hangers etc...

It would also be nice to see an emphasis on safety with regards to newbies such as a first aid kit and the knowledge to use it and details on potentially unsafe water sources and what to do with them etc... - i think it is often either forgotten or assumed that the people trying out "survival" techniques often dont have a full understanding of what they are actually doing or why (im remembering my youth with the SAS survival guide) which could have dramatic repurcussions.

Hamster

vukic

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Tiverton, Devon
Defo water safety and risks and things to look for of "bad water"

And definitely kit/tool's you can make yourself..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Over the years on the site, you start to see trends in the topics that the new members post.

Usually it boils down to something along the lines of this;

1. what knife should I buy?
2. Is this pack any good?
3. Where can I camp?
4. how do I start fires by friction?
5. Should I get a hammock?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My list is aimed purely at those starting out, I have tried not to be prescriptive as everyone has their own aims and preference when out and about.

1. When starting out, most people will need to purchase a lot of kit at once to enable them to get out there. After that we refine our kit as we refine our ideas over time. Many of us go through a weird cycle of buying kit, selling kit and after several years and iterations of our setup we end up re-buying stuff we got right at the beginning. The hard part is to explain to someone which items they are buying to get started and which items should be kept.

2. General camp admin is really good to know as it makes your whole experience better when outdoors, you know where all your stuff is, you are less likely to lose anything, you can pack your gear away faster and it makes a big difference to how you feel. I'm not one to force my will on others but some photos I see of peoples little areas look like an explosion at a jumble sale with stuff strewn over a wide area. as well as how to manage yourself in the woods, other basic camp stuff like where to go to the loo, to check for overhead hazards and to evaluate a site for other concerns like where water will run after a heavy downpour. These things take quite a while to learn typically because we all just use trial and error which seems a bit mad when we will happily go on course after course for making a spoon.

3. Knots and the quick and effective ones to learn and how to apply them properly. The subject is so big that it can get overwhelming but a few simple knots that really are mastered can make pitching tarps, hammocks and tents easy, can provide secure lashings when making tools or furniture and improve your safety and comfort a great deal.

4. Cleaning, sharpening, maintaining and safely using your cutting tools. Basics starting from terms used to describe knife shapes and blade profiles and why they are favoured. How to safely carry your sharps through uneven terrain and other basic things such as how to stand or kneel when chopping with an axe, how to safely carve with a knife. For sharpening, it is good to show methods that are consistently good and that can be picked up quickly without having to purchase much kit and stop way before adding complexities such as true honing and polishing and working with exotic materials.

5. First aid and hygene on a very basic level with things likely to happen... twisted knees and ankles - how to check that nothing more serious has happened, how to deal with minor burns and cuts and how to keep yourself not only alive but clean in the woods. How to check other people out for all of the above, especially if you travel with children or pets that might not be able to articulate symptoms to you like what a drowning person actually looks like in the real world and what the start of hypothermia looks like. Again, basic things that can be taken further over time.

Derri

May 21, 2013
Lincoln - UK
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your responses, it makes for interesting reading, I am currently building a website, based around survivalism, prepardness, self reliance, and I have taken on board your feed back and comments. I am not an expert, however will be providing content from experts, such as Perry McGee, and from people who have lived off grid for many years. There will be further information in due course.

Thanks again.

All feedback welcome

Cheers

Derri

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Derri,

I have a generalised interest in prepping (not quite the way portrayed in the recent prepper tv series' on tv though I would love a bunker to play wi ;) ) and one of the crossovers I have found with bushcraft if food preservation.

Like many others here I dehydrate meat, veg and fruits when they are in abundance and can reconstitute them when required, I quite often take a ziplock or vacuum sealed bag of dehydrated goodies when out for a few nights which can be dumped in a pot over the fire to create a hearty stew etc...
It saves space and weight in your pack too which may be a consideration you will be looking into.

Thinking about the stated content of your website navigation and selecting suitable camp sites to suit any specific needs may also be worth considering, water sources, abundance of firewood, remote locations etc...

Hamster

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your responses, it makes for interesting reading, I am currently building a website, based around survivalism, prepardness, self reliance, and I have taken on board your feed back and comments. I am not an expert, however will be providing content from experts, such as Perry McGee, and from people who have lived off grid for many years. There will be further information in due course.

Thanks again.

All feedback welcome

Cheers

Derri

Not sure Perry would be the right guy for survivalism and preparedness - whilst tracking skills have an area of relevance tracking is a pretty small part of the skillset. Ideally you need people like David Crossley, Wendy Mae, et al. I would have thought areas like food storage (canning, mylaring, clamping, vinegar making etc.) are more "on topic" than tracking - as would be gardening, off grid power, soap making, and much more.

Hope that helps

Red

Derri

May 21, 2013
Lincoln - UK
Thanks Red, Tracking is just going to be a very small part of the whole website, which will cover a wide range of topics and will grow with time, we will have articles on there about mental prepardness, beans and pulses and how to store, plus lots more. Thanks for the feedback.

Derri

May 21, 2013
Lincoln - UK
Thanks Hammock Hamster, Like you I would love a bunker to play in, and its funny because I met my new landlord today, who has an older Anderson Shelter in his garden, which he says is in good condition, and apparantly the person who lived there before him reinforced the inside ceilings of his house with wire mesh, so he was clearly getting prepared for something. LOL and the house was built before the 2nd world war. Thanks for your feedback, we do have an article on wild camping and the law, which makes for interesting reading. Thanks for your comments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE