Guyot Water Bottle "Pimping"

Flix

Feb 13, 2010
Washington State, USA
Hello cousins! Helixpteron asked me to post some images and information I put together a whaile ago on a stateside wilderness survival forum. I understand that some of you are considering a group buy of this bottle and are curious about it.

The appeal of the bottle is first that it is stainless steel, so it can be used to boil water in a pinch. It also is sized to fit most bottle holsters made for "Nalgene" type bottles and the mouth of the bottle is also sized/threaded to fit any accessories designed for a Nalgene botle, such as filters or aftermarket lids.

With that in mind, I put together the following setup:

Here is a group shot, showing the bottle and accessories. GSI and Olicamp both make stainless cups that are designed to nest with Nalgene bottles. They work with the Guyot as well.
283618275_9r5Jw-L.jpg

First, I decided I wanted a bail so that I could hang the bottle over a fire if the need ever arose. I drilled a couple of holes in the wide flange below the threads. I attached some small split rings, and then used a braided stainless steel fishing leader with snap clips on each end. I left the swivel on one end to release any binding that might occur.
283618093_Lwe5S-L.jpg

The bail stows out of the way wrapped around the flange.
283618787_bYYe6-L.jpg

I also used another stainless leader to replace the lid lanyard. This comes off easily by unclipping the snap clip.
283618658_YtSDo-L.jpg

Next, I wanted some kind of metal lid to aid in boiling water. I found the lids to a couple of small round tins that I have work just fine. One is small enough to sit inside the bottle's neck while the other is just big enough to sit outside the threads. Ultimately, I'll probably just use the lid off a can with slits cut in it to fit over the bail wire.
283618992_kKUv5-L.jpg

283619164_VtjNq-L.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist buying a coffee filter that threads onto the neck of the bottle. I guess I could use it to prefilter water as well.
283618482_hdzWi-L.jpg

Here is a shot of everything nested.
283619351_zik7m-L.jpg

Enjoy! Please excuse the "HuntFlix" copyright watermark. That is a now dead web business I used to run. The original thread is at Bladeforums.com.

Last edited:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Nice one Flix, handy little conversion to make and simple aswell.
Seems a few of these "bottle mods" are coming out the wood work now. Must mean spring is on the way and lightweight is happening again :D goodjob

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Nice post and great pictures but I find myself asking why?

What's the purpose or benifit of a SS bottle + cup over a conventional plastic bottle and SS cup or billy..

Each to his own and all that but I'm not understanding how this is any better or more practical than say...

DSCF0020-1.jpg

Or if you wanted a SS bottle why not get a Ecotanka??

http://www.ecotanka.com/

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Nice post and great pictures but I find myself asking why?

What's the purpose or benifit of a SS bottle + cup over a conventional plastic bottle and SS cup or billy..

Each to his own and all that but I'm not understanding how this is any better or more practical than say...

Or if you wanted a SS bottle why not get a Ecotanka??

http://www.ecotanka.com/

Versatility. You are going to struggle boiling water over an open fire with 95 pat water bottler and mug. The attachments for nalgene bottles make this very versatile. I love the coffee filter idea for either use as a water pre-filter or as a coffe filter. Great idea. I wonder also if this could be used "kelly kettle style" with a hobo-stove setup?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Versatility. You are going to struggle boiling water over an open fire with 95 pat water bottler and mug. The attachments for nalgene bottles make this very versatile. I love the coffee filter idea for either use as a water pre-filter or as a coffe filter. Great idea. I wonder also if this could be used "kelly kettle style" with a hobo-stove setup?

You can boil water in an 85 / Crusader/ US pattern mug over an open fire.. I just place the mug in the ember bed it heats up soon enough....

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You can boil water in an 85 / Crusader/ US pattern mug over an open fire.. I just place the mug in the ember bed it heats up soon enough....

Fair comment, but I didn't say you couldn't do it, I said you are going to struggle to do it. Have you ever tried boiling water in a crusader cup over a fire or hot coals? I've only done it the once and I wouldn't hurry to try it again. It's a tricky and fussy process to say the least. Everything gets very hot and difficult to handle. The mug becomes useless as a drinking utensil because it's so hot and you certainly cant hold it without gloves or a cloth or something. Even using the crusader cup pot-hanger, doesnt solve the problem of handling an extremely hot metal mug. However with this setup, it's the bottle you heat, not the mug and that bottle looks a very good alternative to a 10cm billy can. Those small 10cm billy's are only really big enough for boiling water anyway, so basically this is a billy can and water bottle in one - with the ability to take advantage of all the nalgene bottle accessories, such as the coffee filter above. With that coffee filter in place, you could dangle the bottle in a stream and the filter would catch all the twigs and leaves and crap, leaving fairly clear water for boiling or adding aquatabs. The braided wire bail idea I've used before on my billy's and they are great, they're rugged, flexible and cool very quickly, making handling the container much safer and easier. Also, if you contaminate the inside of your 58 water bottle with dirty water, how do you clean/sterilise it? With this stainless steel bottle, you just put it in the fire.

I think it's a brilliant idea. I'm gonna get me a couple of these bottles and put em to the test.

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Fair comment, but I didn't say you couldn't do it, I said you are going to struggle to do it. Have you ever tried boiling water in a crusader cup over a fire or hot coals?

Never in a crusader cup but in an 85 pattern mug and a US/NZ issue canteen cup.. it's doable and not a horror story to do.. I'd concur it's not super quick or convinent. But if you want to boil water at speed then use a jet boil...:)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i use the 58 setup too to get around hot mug i either wait for it to cool a little or use a second mug boil the water and meal in the mug poor water into another 58 style mug plastic or metal doesnt matter for brew then use the metal one to tip my meal into. I like to carry 2 58 set ups anyway cause im always thirsty and like to take plenty of water

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
DOn't some bottle mug combos have a plastic lip which you can add to the hot mug to drink? I'm sure I saw one at Lakeland Bushcraft or penrith survival website.

Better to use a standard shape metal mug such as a Vargo Ti-lite and use a silicone charity bracelet as a lip protector then the whole thing once cool can be carried with the nalgene bottle inside afterwards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE