Guyline Tensioner Puzzle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bren73

Apr 18, 2015
Edinburgh
Hi Folks, I just got a new tent and can’t work out how the guyline tensioners work.

The instructions are no use as they show a different type of tensioner (the triangular kind.) And I can’t seem to find this type anywhere on Google or YouTube.

Any help would be massively appreciated :)

27cc4fe7c0fc74e8957c682342d609fd.jpg

43735c4828829e2dca5debe174b2c3d8.jpg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I reckon that you thread the cord to be tightened through, pull tight, then throw a loop of the line under tension around the line lock, like the Dutchware Tarpworms. maybe wrapping the tail around would work. I am sure it is a wrap lock though.

Reactions: bren73 and Chainsaw

bren73

Apr 18, 2015
Edinburgh
I reckon that you thread the cord to be tightened through, pull tight, then throw a loop of the line under tension around the line lock, like the Dutchware Tarpworms. maybe wrapping the tail around would work. I am sure it is a wrap lock though.

Nice suggestion, I watched a Tarpworm video and tried it, but it doesn’t seem to grab it properly :( Also there isn’t a tail as such as that end would be attached to the tent.

I’ve emailed the manufacturer to see what they say…fingers crossed.

In the meantime the best I can come up with is to pass it through the ‘jaws’ bit of it twice, which kind of works but isn’t very adjustable. As it’s a silnylon tent I would have thought it would need a bit of tightening when it gets wet.

905139550233cb71a7e7dff7b5dc6db9.jpg

bren73

Apr 18, 2015
Edinburgh
Does this help?

Unfortunately not, different setup from those…weirdly tho I bought some of them last year and I might just use them as they work perfectly well and adjust easily.

Reactions: Billy-o

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I wouldn’t bother wondering about how they work, you could have unpacked that tent in a storm and ended up soaked because it’s not obvious. Take them off and put some of the rings on, they’re really easy.

Reactions: bren73

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Personally I’m a fan of the cam cleat design if you’re swapping them out.

bren73

Apr 18, 2015
Edinburgh
Thanks folks :) You are right, I’m going to swap them out for something else…I would still like to know how those ones are supposed to work tho, and why Jack Wolfskin think they are better than the cam cleats they used to supply on the tent.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

This is what I have used for years.

Of late I have made tarps with ribbon anchored plastic lineloc 3s. Which are faster than re tying knots each time.

For info. The tensioners in question here are made by Duraflex, a National Molding brand, but it does not appear in their catalogue, so no easy way to find a product name to aid a search.

bren73

Apr 18, 2015
Edinburgh

This is what I have used for years.

Of late I have made tarps with ribbon anchored plastic lineloc 3s. Which are faster than re tying knots each time.

For info. The tensioners in question here are made by Duraflex, a National Molding brand, but it does not appear in their catalogue, so no easy way to find a product name to aid a search.

Yeah, I just can’t seem to find any info on them.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Sorry if stating obvious, whats on the the tent end? is it maybe a hook for quick release and the tensioner is on the tent? similar to this?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Found it: (I can sleep now :) )
jack-wolfskin-3004031-1074-4-lighthouse-iii-rt-steel-blue_2.jpg

Looks blumin complex though??

Reactions: bren73 and Billy-o

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
View attachment 72415

Too complicated. I mucked about with these things for a while on the hammock tarp. The Nite Ize Figure 9.

I suppose, like knots, they need familiarity to be used quickly when needed. When you’re just setting up in the rain or wind and don’t have a clue because you haven’t used them in the last year or so then it needs to be KISS.

bren73

Apr 18, 2015
Edinburgh
View attachment 72415

Top detective work [mention]lostplanet [/mention] I then found the pdf manual for that tent and it had this diagram to explain how to rig the tensioner.

b110036789e2cd748120b31f66261063.jpg

So I had eventually guessed correctly on how it works…however it’s too late now as it is a PITA to adjust it compared to other options, so I’ve replaced them with cam locks :)

To answer your earlier question, there is nothing else on the line and just loops on the tent, it is just a length of cord with a loop and one of these at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

bren73

Apr 18, 2015
Edinburgh
Too complicated. I mucked about with these things for a while on the hammock tarp. The Nite Ize Figure 9.

I suppose, like knots, they need familiarity to be used quickly when needed. When you’re just setting up in the rain or wind and don’t have a clue because you haven’t used them in the last year or so then it needs to be KISS.

I agree, I camp in Scotland so it has to be quick and simple :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE