Gutted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Been saving for 4 months to get an axe.

Today not two hours ago i got a new fiskars hatchet, took it to a wee quiet woodland 5 mins from my house to test it, chopped some wood, left the axe buried in a stump while i go for more wood to chop, i only walked about away about 30 metres all the while pondering the immense amount of things i can now do.

I come back into the clearing and it's gone.

Only cost 20 quid but it took me so long to save for it it's gutting.

Suppose i best phone the police as somoene is now running about with an axe.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
To be fair, if I was on a walk in the woods, and found an ownerless axe stuck in a tree-stump, I'd take it. It's not tight or theft, it's making something safe at the time. I may have called out to see if anyone was around, but I would definitely have made the situation safe by removing it. It would have been different if there was hammock, fire, shelter etc, but on it's own?

Did you call out? Have you been to the local nick to see if it was handed in? Although that could be fraught with difficulties I suppose! Exactly how do you explain leaving an axe in a tree stump in a public wood?

There is a lesson here, and I guess you may have learned it.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
To be fair, if I was on a walk in the woods, and found an ownerless axe stuck in a tree-stump, I'd take it. It's not tight or theft, it's making something safe at the time. I may have called out to see if anyone was around, but I would definitely have made the situation safe by removing it. It would have been different if there was hammock, fire, shelter etc, but on it's own?

Did you call out? Have you been to the local nick to see if it was handed in? Although that could be fraught with difficulties I suppose! Exactly how do you explain leaving an axe in a tree stump in a public wood?

There is a lesson here, and I guess you may have learned it.

It isn't really a public wood, it's in the middle of a field, the guy that works the land is my next door neighbour.

The wood is only 100 metres at it's widest point, so whoever took it didn't walk away or i would have seen them so they legged it.

It was next to a small pile of chopped fuel also.

Also my lean to is there also.

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Id be gutted if it happened to me

It is bad practice to leave an axe in a stump tho.
Hope your bad luck is offset by some good luck some other way.

matty1967

Feb 2, 2009
north wiltshire
hi
how can you not leave kit unattended if youve set up a camp for a few days.do others hide tools and such while walking the woods or chain down their rucksac.some of this stuff is pretty expensive but would be a downer to carry it everywhere.what do the more seasoned bushcrafters do any suggestions.
matt

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
hi
how can you not leave kit unattended if youve set up a camp for a few days.do others hide tools and such while walking the woods or chain down their rucksac.some of this stuff is pretty expensive but would be a downer to carry it everywhere.what do the more seasoned bushcrafters do any suggestions.
matt[/QUOTE

Can't really answer that as I don't set up camp for days at a time but I would think that in an area/woodland with free public access it would be unwise to leave your gear out of sight.(even for a short period)....On private land, with the owners permission, it would prehaps be safer to risk it.....Know your neck of the woods would be a good guildline I suppose.

May 13, 2011
Its a sad world you cant sit your tools down less than 30 mtrs away , i wouldn`t say that was bad pratice at all since he was gathering near it just pure dirty low life thief (s) . you`l get another soon some how & learn the worms crawl out from every where these days buddy just bad luck

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would agree that's its bad skills to leave sharps unattended at any time. but hey bad luck chap, I allways pack away my kit even if I'm in a private wood less my sleep set up and hide my bergan away from my set up.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Thats bloody awful; I really sympathise, especially as it sounds like you were on private land rather than a public access forestry commission piece of woodland.

Some people. :(

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
It doesn't matter what the thing was, or where it was nicked from - something you valued was stolen from you and that sucks. Commiserations.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That's why I never leave any sharps laying around. I do leave my hammock and tarp setup, but then I worry all the time. What a stupid situation.... The best trips I had is with a few people (3 of us) then one always stays on the camp, others can forage or whatever, then you can really relax and run around woods lightweight. I hate carrying things I'm not using at that moment. Bad luck chap, always sad to hear about thief's ruin a good day

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE