Gurkha Kukri value ?

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I've got a issue Gurkha Kukri from Nepal. A mate go itt for me from the Gurkha pri shop in Khatmandu last year.
Im thinking of selling it but have no idea what to ask for it.

Pics of the actual kukri

IMG_1690-1.jpg

IMG_1689-1.jpg

IMG_1691-1.jpg

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When you're talking about a khukuri the word "issue" doesn't have the same meaning. Even the army issue ones are hand made one at a time and often personalized with the individual soldier's name or the date he entered service. My point is value varies greatly.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It depends on which issue it is.
Nepalese army or British army?
Also which series?
Depending on the exact model anywhere between £40 and £90 for a brand new one.
Second hand, a bit less.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Cheers Martin. Mine looks like both of them but my sheath is like the bottom one. The blood drain feature on mine is a small circular hole through the blade though.

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
The bottom one on the picture from kukri house retails at about 44 dollars with 30 dollars shipping all handmade and genuine product great website and relative fast delivery

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are the ones from the Khukuri house the same as from the PRI shop in Khatmandu ?

Remember that these knives are not made in a factory as we would think of it. Instead think of a kami (craftsman) squatting in front of a fire with a hammer and a tea kettle to temper the steel as he works on one knife at a time. You really are always getting a custom knife even if it is built to the same design specs as the last one and the next one; no two are exactly alike. Khukuri House source them from a host of independent kami. I suspect the same kami make knives for all vendors/merchants.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Cheers Martin. Mine looks like both of them but my sheath is like the bottom one. The blood drain feature on mine is a small circular hole through the blade though.

That part is known as the "cho" and not only stops the blood flowing onto the handle (like tassles behind a spear point or lance do) but it also stops the "chakmak" or sharpener from going as far as the handle.

If I remember correctly, the shape of the "cho" is a Hindu symbol, fertility I think?

Lovely knives, the small brown chaps I spoke to said the best ones were made from landrover leaf springs or cut up railway tracks.

Liam

chargreavemawson

Jul 20, 2012
uk
Hi just got back from sittang camp in Brunei where i went to the pri shop of 2RGRthe prices were for the silver display Kukri B$120.00
for the No.1 kukri B$45.00 and for the issue kukri (the one with the matt black sheeth) B$45.00

the exchange rate was aprox 2 B$ to the pound

hope this could be of help

(sorry for the formatting)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE