Gunpowder

P

Phantom

hi peeps,

could someone tell me where to get gunpowder from plz....im not planing on blowing anything up ;) im just curious :D

cheers
phantom :AR15firin

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Gun shops might just have some.

You will need a licence to buy and store from the police and a permission to transport from the relevant authority.

Not worth the effort just to play. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Making it requires even stricter permits than buying it!

Sourced from the HSE site

If you want to store or manufacture explosives you will need a licence or to register with your local licensing authority. This applies to a wide variety of substances and articles including:

blasting explosives
munitions
ammunition and shooters' powders
fireworks
marine flares
pyrotechnic articles
car airbags and seatbelt pretensioners
party poppers
Storage

There are a number of exemptions for the storage of small quantities and for temporary storage. For example there are allowances for storage of shooters' powders and for certain lower-risk pyrotechnic articles which include consumer fireworks and articles such as flares, fog signals, car airbags and seatbelt pre-tensioners.

Licences and registrations
Registration is a simplified process designed for those wanting to store smaller quantities of explosive - for example most registrations are for shops selling fireworks during the firework season. You can store up to 250kg of the least hazardous types of firework - for more hazardous explosives (including more hazardous fireworks) the amount you can keep with a registration is reduced. For more information please follow this link. Please note that all quantities referred to are the net mass (weight) of explosive contained in the article - not the gross weight of the article itself.

Manufacture
A licence is required for most manufacturing activities. 'Manufacturing' includes processes where explosive articles or explosive substances are made or assembled, or unmade or disassembled. The term also includes the repair or modification of explosive articles and the reprocessing, modification or adaptation of explosive substances. It does not include packing, unpacking, repacking, labelling or testing explosives. Nor does it include dividing explosives into smaller storage containers.

Anyone wishing to manufacture explosives will need to apply to HSE for a licence. There are some exemptions to this such as exemptions for fusing of firework displays. For more information please click on the link.

Where to apply
This will depend on the quantity and type of explosive you want to store and where you live.

If you wish to store two tonnes or more of explosive you will need a licence from HSE.
If you wish to store up to two tonnes of an explosive that requires an explosives certificate (eg blasting explosive or black powder) you will need a licence or registration from your local police.
If you live in the metropolitan counties, ie West Midlands, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Tyne and Wear, or South, and West Yorkshire you will need to apply to the fire and rescue service.
In other areas you will normally need to contact the trading standards department of your local authority.

How to make an application
The first step is to contact the licensing authority. They will be happy to proxide an application form, alternatively you can download a form from the HSE web site
The amount of information needed for the application will depend on the type of registration or licence. For most licences the licensing authority will need to know:

the name of the applicant;
nature of the business;
where you plan to keep the explosives;
the type(s) and quantities of explosives to be kept
More extensive information will be required for applications to HSE for a licence for manufacturing or a larger store, where the licence will be subject to local authority assent.

Fees for applications
A fee will be payable before the licensing authority will consider an application. Information on current fee levels can be found on the fees page.

There are as already stated other permissions required to transport blackpowder.

Recently storage rules have changed too - you now need a case of an approved design to hold even small quantities.

If you want to see how dangerous this stuff is, visit a blackpowder shooting club! A couple of spoonfulls will send up a huge cloud of smoke, make a fierce bang and send a heavy lead projectile and hundreds of feet per scond. Then witness the cae used to clean the pan etc.

No-one messes with BP - not twice anyway - that form of curiosity is what killed the cat :(

Red

Reactions: Toddy
P

Phantom

:eek: thats a lot of info red
cheers
phantom
p.s. how do you make it

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you really want to find out more about black powder (gun powder), why not join a living history or re-enactment group that uses the stuff. Any of the civil war societies, both british and american civil wars will have licenced and appointed persons who can buy, handle, transport and use the stuff.

It would be inappropriate to describe the methods and manufacture of black powder on this forum as it is open to the public to view. However, I'm sure if you explored some of the american blackpowder and mountainman forums you'd probably be able to find out quite a lot.

Eric

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Phantom said:
hi peeps,

could someone tell me where to get gunpowder from plz....im not planing on blowing anything up ;) im just curious :D

cheers
phantom :AR15firin

Apart from "curiosity killed the cat" I can not see why you would need to have or own "gun powder".
Do you have a legitimate reason?

It's worth you understanding that "gun powder" may not be exactly what you think it is. For example, if your asking about the powders used in say shotgun cartridges, then your actually looking for Nitro powder.
If your looking for the stuff in fireworks, again nitro based powders are used, as well as black powder.
However if your looking for black powder, then you need to obtain a licence.
Black powder is very easy to make, Saltpeter, sulfur and charcoal are the original ingredients of black powder, 75%, 11% & 14% respectively was Mr Bacon's original formula if memory serves me correctly. A Google search will show all that is needed to know.
Making your own black powder is exactly the same as making your own Niroglycerin, again not that hard to make but VERY illegal and VERY dangerous!!!! :rant:

If you do, then expect some sever penalties, that's if you don't blow yourself up first.

See black powder works differently to nitro powder. When set a light, black powder will produce that same amount of gas in an enclosed space as in an open space. Nitro powder produces very little gas in the open but more in an enclosed space. Nitro powder requires no licence at all and can be purchased over the counter.

John

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I use to have an "acquire" licence when I was a reenactor. Not difficult to get but you can only use a small amount at an event.
You can get an "acquire and keep" version with more hassle for up to 500grams if I remember correctly.
If you don't have a logical purpose for it I doubt they'd be keen on letting you have it.
It is the devil's stuff anyway, stinging smelly and it tastes bad too :yuck:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hunter_zero said:
Black powder is very easy to make, Saltpeter, sulfur and charcoal are the original ingredients of black powder, 75%, 11% & 14% respectively was Mr Bacon's original formula if memory serves me correctly.

The dangerous bit is mixing it together. You cant just stir it up, it needs to be ground to make a very fine homogenous powder. Grinding that particular mix of chemicals is not only very illegal unless you have the right paperwork, but extremely dangerous. I think a non-sparking ball mill is the old fashioned method but today I think they make solutions and mix it wet.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Martyn said:
The dangerous bit is mixing it together. You cant just stir it up, it needs to be ground to make a very fine homogenous powder. Grinding that particular mix of chemicals is not only very illegal unless you have the right paperwork, but extremely dangerous. I think a non-sparking ball mill is the old fashioned method but today I think they make solutions and mix it wet.

A friend ( honestly it WAS a friend) of mine, many many years ago used a food processor. Good stuff it made too :lmao:
Not that I personally had anything at all to do with it! ( no really I didn't ).
Kids, then hey! Now it's all Xbox games and films :)

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE