Gun talk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
American Barrett light .50 cal rifle (no real bushcraft value but I would like one)
American 1 qt water bottle and metal mug
Swedish army parka
british army basha
RCMP hat

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
Lurch said:
Oorah!!!

Me too, but I think it is actually a civvy rifle adopted for military use rather than t'other way around.

do you mean the Barrett m107 rifle? actually i was just watching a show on weapons and the 107 was develped by mr Barrett for the US military as a long range sniping weapon. there are other barrett rifles but i do believe they were designed as a military weapon but was quickly adopted by the civilan shooting fraturnity as a rifle to have.

dean

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
According to online sources the M107 is just a rebadged version of the Barrett Firearms Company m82. Developed in 1982 but not sold in any number until taken up by the Swedish army in 1989, the rifle attracted the attention of the US military,and it was deployed for use in the Gulf War. In current military use, the later model M82A1 is designated as the M107 due to political reasons.

Reactions: Lurch

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
longshot said:
do you mean the Barrett m107 rifle? actually i was just watching a show on weapons and the 107 was develped by mr Barrett for the US military as a long range sniping weapon. there are other barrett rifles but i do believe they were designed as a military weapon but was quickly adopted by the civilan shooting fraturnity as a rifle to have.

dean

I got my info from an interview with Ronnie Barrett (top fella!) on NRA News ages ago.
For more info on the origins you can read the article in American R i fleman here

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
longshot said:
there are other barrett rifles but i do believe they were designed as a military weapon but was quickly adopted by the civilan shooting fraturnity as a rifle to have.
dean

For hunting of the very rare armor plated moose.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
longshot said:

dean

I actually thought it was a counter sniper weapon. The 50 cal round was used in Vietnam for this purpose, vehicle weapons used single shot.

I like US Alice webbing and british 58 webbing. I tend to pick and chose from what people say is worth having a look at or from Militarys who operate in a perticular terrian.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Spacemonkey said:
Haha! NRA News and American R i fleman really crack me up. A very entertaining read, though I'm not sure that's the intention!
Lurch said:
Um, why?
Are you perhaps a 3%er?
Well that depends on which version of '3%er' your talking about! ;)
The NRA (of America...) mags are full of American Pride and patriotism; nothing wrong with that, but living in a country where patriotism only surfaces when there's a world cup on :rolleyes: it appears a little, well, funny.. The Armed Citizen columns are also amusing. I read one were some hoodlum held up a 60 year old woman, and she decked him with one punch! Imagine the stick he got when in the clink...! The review and historical articles in A R are really good though, but Shotgu n News does it better, I think. The stuff they can buy makes me very envious...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Gents,,

When the OP asked about favorite kit from each army, I dont think he was asking for a discourse on the relative merits of the G36 over the M16.

Can the gun-lovers let this topic run it's intended course please? I think the OP was looking for choice picks of outdoor kit from army surplus accross the world - it's a good thread idea and deserves not to be hijacked. Perhaps the NRA crowd can start their own "my favorite gun" thread or something?

Stand easy. :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Martyn said:
Gents,,

When the OP asked about favorite kit from each army, I dont think he was asking for a discourse on the relative merits of the G36 over the M16.

Can the gun-lovers let this topic run it's intended course please? I think the OP was looking for choice picks of outdoor kit from army surplus accross the world - it's a good thread idea and deserves not to be hijacked. Perhaps the NRA crowd can start their own "my favorite gun" thread or something?

Stand easy.
smile.gif

Oh! But.. but.. but.. but.... they are part of army kit...!

...and any fool knows the G36 beats the M16 hands down...:p

Reactions: Lurch

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
Tadpole said:
what is a 3% er? and what does it have to do with finding the NRA funny :(

OK, last point on this to be polite and answer your question before Martyn goes postal....

A 3%er is someone who watches NRANews.com to be outraged by it or to keep an eye on the 'enemy'. It comes from the online polls that Cam (the host) runs which always include an option for the gun grabbers to vote for. This option tends to come out at 3% of the total. A 3%er might find the NRA funny because they would find their position and logic laughable.

NRA Lifemember!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Lurch said:
NRA Lifemember!
Lurch, Are you talking US NRA or UK?
Personaly I don't think the UK version is worth the paper it's written on unless you purely target sh oot and don't care about anyone else.
They had a very blinkered approach to the SLR ban and the commonwealth games - and no doubt the olympics

Mark

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
US version. I have aspirations to flit off and I'd like there to be a second amendment worth having if I ever get there. Plus the US voice and influence in the UN helps see of some of the UN's wacky ideas on 'gun control'.
I'm not a member of the UK one at all. Whilst they are just starting to sound a little bit sensible the forthcoming merger with CPSA and NRSA will completely see an end to that. CPSA would sell their grannies if they thought it would distract attention from shooting discs with shotguns for five minutes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE