Guizhou, China

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
[video]https://youtu.be/RV20kM85GUY[/video]

I'm going to post quite a bit here in this thread, so that some information is built up about bushcraft and traditional skills in China on here for people's reference. There's very little about. It will take a little while.

Perhaps the most directly relevant bit of video I got was this little montage. On my first trip to this area I got friendly with the guy
(his name is Li Mingyue) in the blacksmith shop in a town called Congjiang and ended up going for dinner at his familiy's house (also his dad's blacksmith workshop). This time I came prepared with a bottle of french red wine for him, and he took me out to try a local delicacy called niubie, which is a very spicy beef stew, made using some partly digested grass from a cow's stomach. I bought a knife blade from his shop in a style specific to a particularly authentic and untouched village and went looking for someone to handle it for me. The guy in this clip was paid to make a handle and sheath for it. In theory I would have a knife hand-forged by my friend's cousin, in the pattern of the coolest village in the world, and I could use it once in a while if I happened to ever actually get out camping, and all for about eight quid.That breaks down to 2 quid for the blade, 5 for the handle and fitting and 1 for sharpening. The problem is that the postie people refused to ship it and the police wouldn't let me take it on the train, so I was checkmated and it's theirs now, doing police business. Chopping donuts, maybe? I can get another.

This is the blurb I posted with the video.You don't see in it that he uses two different natural stones to sharpen it. One course and one smooth. I think they intentionally let the get worn away in the middle to give a natural convex edge, but I also think they don't care either way. This is copied from what I wrote on youtube:
A traditional hand-forged belt knife being handled in the local way. Miao minority area, Guizhou province, China. The stick tang was simply heated in an open fire and then burnt into a hand carved wooden handle. That simple. There was a little aluminium there that melted and may have helped to stick it in place. The tang was left slightly protruding so that if it loosens it can be banged in a little deeper. No epoxy resin needed! Heating the tang like this may damage the temper of the blade, but they all do this and their blades last them several years of constant heavy use at a cost of £2 for the blade and nothing for the handle.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
[video]https://youtu.be/IvUKgBhK1vo[/video]

The attached blurb:
This is a little montage of video clips I made with my phone at various points where I thought something interesting was happening. That's the only unifying theme, but I put them together because there are only eight clips totaling four minutes from almost ten days traveling, and there is minimal information out there about this area in English.
1) Shows a Miao man having his head shaved with a sickle in the traditional manner. Basha village.
2) An old man sifting glutinous rice beside rice barns. The conversation is him saying the rice is poor this year because of bad weather. They store rice in wooden barns on stilts to keep it away from rats. These barns are separated from the houses so that a fire at home is survivable. They can move into the tool shed below the barn and still have their food. I saw one burnt down house and a nearby village was apparently gutted by a fire that spread. Open fires are risky business. People first dry rice on racks in the sun, then store it, and remove it to thresh in small quantities before eating.
3 & 4) The Dong minority bull fighting arena near the town of Congjiang. This was a stupendous spectacle. Unbelievable. It was like the Colosseum.
5 & 6) A brief cinematic moment when water buffalo walked past with nice scenery behind them.
7) A knife being sharpened using two different natural stones; first rough then smooth. The guy with me asks the fella how many pigs he has and he says two. At another village I saw a pig being butchered at the roadside and at the bullfight people were killing and butchering animals in the surrounding market or fair.
8) Man sharpening a sickle. I tell him I'm terrible at sharpening so he chuckles at me.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Great stuff, I'll certainly look forward to more of this! What cool headwear on that guy :)

Everything about those guys is cool. I felt like such a chump there at times. They're wearing canvas shoes with no socks in winter, and I've got English hiking boots and ski socks, and my flipping bum bag full of torches and tissues and camera tripod. I don't know what 'all the gear and no idea' is in their language, but I probably had it written all over me.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
These things are perhaps more background on the area than anything specifically bushcrafty, but there are bits and pieces in there. I put them on facebook, so might as well just post the links on here, too. People can see from the descriptions if it's not of interest to them.

https://www.facebook.com/phillip.wareham.5/videos/10153797486151351/?l=4455537393700926337
This was a little performance the village puts on for tourists. They fired their rifles in the air, danced, played their instruments, and even did a mock wedding ceremony where they played a game like the indian kabaddi to catch a girl and then got one of the visitors (me, obviously) to play the part of the groom. This involved giving out parcels of rice wrapped in leaves, drinking three big cups of rice liquor (it was 9am), and joining in with a dance. It was genuinely hilarious. Talk about a warm welcome! The music and dress was just like at the bull fight (next clip), which was entirely for local people. It's all for real. Me being the groom is at 1:30.

https://www.facebook.com/phillip.wareham.5/videos/10153797462576351/?l=2320111684092488120
Last video. I'll add photos another time. This is a one minute montage of the bull fight I went to. Not the actual fighting, but the ceremony and bustle around it. There was not a single tourist there, except me poking my camera around. This is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE