Guess what we're growing..

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hey all,

We've managed to actually get a veg patch dug this year, and even more amazingly things are growing..! :35: However there are a couple which were gifted from our nextdoor neighbour who is currently on her hols, and we're not sure what they are.

Below is a few pics of everything currently outside, most of which we know what they are, but I thought I'd see if you can guess what they are, get the ol' grey cells working and all that...

plant 1
plant1.jpg

plant 2
plant2.jpg

plant 3
plant3.jpg

plant 4
plant4.jpg

plant 5
plant5.jpg

plant 6
plant6.jpg

plant 7
plant7.jpg

plant 8
plant8.jpg

plant 9
plant9.jpg

plant 10
plant10.jpg

plant 11
plant11.jpg

plant 12
plant12.jpg

Cheers,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
1. Not sure although it's probably the most obvious
2. Lambs lettuce
3. Simpson Lettuce
4. Spinach maybe ? It's not perpetual but it does have that look
5. Young corguette/marrow/cucumber ?
6. Spinach again ?
7. Spring onion ?
8. Chives
9. Not sure
10. No idea
11. God knows
12. Haven't the foggiest

:D

How did I do ? 1/12 ??

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
1. Spuds
2. Pak Choi/ Bok Choi
3. Kale (possibly Pentland Brig variety)
4. PSB?
5. Squash (Possibly butternut)
6. Peas
7. Spinach
8. Chives
9. I haven't got a scoobie doo
10. Gooseberries (in the foreground)
11. Some sort of Umble. Could be dill, could be pignut.
12. Is a mint, possibly chocolate mint.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
1. Tatties
2. Pak Choi
3. Kale
4. Something cabbagy
5. Courgettes
6. Peas
7. No idea :confused:
8. Chives
9. No idea. Looks almost like columbine :confused:
10. Gooseberry and Lady's Mantle
11. Fennel
12. Mint

Nice quiz :D

cheers,
M

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not bad, not bad at all, between you all I think you have got 10 / 12... although maybe not all in the right order.. :D I'll leave this up a while just to see what else is guessed.. :)

Cheers,

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's rare for me to disagree with Rob on such matters, but I suspect that no7 shows very young carrots... Definitely not spring onion, sorry Shewie. ;) Showing them just at the dicot stage makes identification rather tricky.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
No9 is doing my head in. I keep coming to check when I should be cleaning beehives.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
PAk Choi is bbest planted after teh longest day or it will run to seed very quickly ...not a problem if you use em small but be quick once they work out the days are gettin longer they move to seed quickly

(BTW yes i do know what it says on hte packets)

ATB

Duncan

Very true - I've been caught out that way a few times. Do not believe everything you read on the back of a seed packet!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
PAk Choi is bbest planted after teh longest day or it will run to seed very quickly ...not a problem if you use em small but be quick once they work out the days are gettin longer they move to seed quickly

(BTW yes i do know what it says on hte packets)

ATB

Duncan

Cheers Duncan, didn't know that. I'll pass it on to next door neighbour too, although I suspect she knows that already as she eats them all year round.

Okays, Number 9 seems to be giving some folks a hard time, and I'm not surprised it's a thorny one ;). A couple more pics of No9 ( a different one but same kind )

plant9a.jpg

plant9b.jpg

plant9c.jpg

Cheers,

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Ahh well done! It is indeed a Worcester berry, I took a couple of 'runners' of my mums old plant recently - a mere 40 years old and still producing fruit. I plan on getting a few more cuttings later this year, along with some of the black currant and the other currant which is either red or white. Good spotting the choc mint too ;) Oh aye and the pig nut.. :D

Also well done to gregorach who spotted the carrots, and special mention to Mary for getting the Ladys Mantle.

Cheers,

ps although still not 100% sure what No 4 is.... lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hear ? while I mind, does anyone want Loganberries ?
I've got some (originally a named variety which we've long forgotten, sorry) that grows like the jaggiest hedge on the planet and produces inch long deep plum coloured, sweet and juicy fruits. It's as hardy as the heather, it's got jaggy bits everywhere but the fruits and it seems to be totally disease and pest resistant.
It also roots cuttings no bother at all.

cheers,
Mary

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I guess I recognize just about all of those vegetables. A late frost on the morning of the 12th wiped out most of my #5 veggies and killed off the shoots of my #1. You don't have any sweetcorn there but the frost got half of mine too even though they were all cloched.

Apparently it was the worst frost for the time of year in 14 years and it sure caught me out.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Rebel -We got snow last week.

Toddy - I might be interested in trading a loganberry cane or ten for a couple of tayberry ones. I guess we'll have to wait until November...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rob you're welcome to the Loganberries.
I had a couple of rooted cuttings, but they're already spoken for.
It's pouring just now, but I'll get a looksee later and see if there's anything obviously ready to be potted and if not, I'll get a bit of it layering.
It really is incredibly jaggy this one, even the backs of the leaves have thorns.
The fruits are lovely though.

There's only three adults in the house now and we just don't use all the fruits I used to grow. The fruit beds were set up to feed two growing kids, but adults don't eat nearly as much so I've been clearing out.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE