Guess the wood...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In the endless game of guess the fire wood kindly provided by local tree surgeons, this turned up today

Firewood by English Countrylife, on Flickr

It has very dark brown, smooth bark and a finely grained almost white wood

I do know what this one is, but I've never handled it before so I wondered if anyone would care to "name that wood" :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great guess but no, the bark on this is even darker. I imagine without the bark it would be very similar looking

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The bit on top looks like beech but the bark of the one under it looks like hawthorn. On balance... I don't know.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
In the endless game of guess the fire wood kindly provided by local tree surgeons, this turned up today

It has very dark brown, smooth bark and a finely grained almost white wood

I do know what this one is, but I've never handled it before so I wondered if anyone would care to "name that wood" :)
What does it smell like? (honestly a great way to identify some types of wood)

Reactions: British Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It looks like London plane.

Photos are always hard, subjective kind of thing. We all recognise different things about timbers.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I’d have said sycamore, or perhaps field maple from the pics. The fairly smooth dark bark and white wood without any obvious heartwood for the size of the rounds would have otherwise indicated beech, but you’ve already ruled that out. Tricky…

Reactions: British Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE