Guess the wood?? carved spoon.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

Been pretty busy since my little boy was born so not had a lot of time for whittling bows. I have been walking another person through a yew ELB at my place but Its a bit strange to be honest, not had the "mind" to go at a bow lately, almost anxious, really strange.

Any ways i had a quick spoon whittle just before teh holidays and another recently. The latter is for my nan. My Nan lived with a whittler and wood monkey for near 60 years gawd we all miss him.

Anyways we had a tree fall outside of my nans place that my grandand used to look after. No idea what it was to be honest, some kind or ornamental or strange fruit. The thing blew over mid late last years and it was missed. I managed to "prune" a few bits off of it whilst half cut at a family party, lucky i still have all my digits!

First is either apple or pear
IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0189-1.jpg

Second, mystery grandads tree
IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0583-1.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Too hard to carve in comparson to lime, longer fibers. Its a hard wood. The colour is a little darker but only due to walnut oil..

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
is it Oak?

The sapwood was starting to go when i had go to it, as in a season ago maybe. The bark was more cherry looking than anything else. Certainly isnt a "cherry" red wood like the cuska i am hacking away at.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
hmmmm,...

pretty straight i spose,..but its pretty hard if allowed any drying at all and "chippy" is the only way i could describe the bit i,m playin with,...lol b

i dont think its laburnum tho,,,,it would have been darker before the treatment i think,...

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
hmmmm,...

pretty straight i spose,..but its pretty hard if allowed any drying at all and "chippy" is the only way i could describe the bit i,m playin with,...lol b

i dont think its laburnum tho,,,,it would have been darker before the treatment i think,...

I have found some bits i whittled from cherry and thats teh closest so far..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE