Guess the seeds...

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
27,223
2,736
Mercia
I was planting today....anyone care to guess what the seeds are? Only three ...

Seed 1

attachment.php


Seed 2

attachment.php


Seed 3

attachment.php



Good luck and....go
 

Attachments

  • cardoon seeds ready.jpg
    cardoon seeds ready.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Medlar Seeds.jpg
    Medlar Seeds.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Yew seeds.jpg
    Yew seeds.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 70
Difficult, I'm out practice, though the #2 one seems familiar (though looks like bacon bits) :)

#3 Is it medlar seeds by any chance?

Good competition, always fun to get the brain turning over.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
 
I viewed the post without logging in,it gave the answers in the photo attachment :D

Attached Images Attached Images

File Type: jpg cardoon seeds ready.jpg (58.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Medlar Seeds.jpg (73.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Yew seeds.jpg (77.6 KB, 43 views)
 
Did a lot of reading and the advice seems to be they have low viability, so plant a LOT of rinsed seed in very sharp mix (50% sand) and allow to stratify for at least 2 years. I wondered if they needed digestion - but it seems not. My friends have a massive yew that covers the ground in half an inch of berries each year, so I can afford to waste a few.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE