Guage for Elwell axes?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Hi my neighbour gave me this guage for Elwell axes the other day, I have spent some time looking on google for another but with out any luck. it is made of aluminium and measures 25mm across, I have not measured the angle of the cut out.
DSC_0002_zps0078553e.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The old chap who gave it to me has no idea where he got it from, it would have been local to him, he was born on the farm which he still lives on and the furthest he has traveled is to Felixstowe, once a year, a round trip of about 35 miles, he is 82:)

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
The old chap who gave it to me has no idea where he got it from, it would have been local to him, he was born on the farm which he still lives on and the furthest he has traveled is to Felixstowe, once a year, a round trip of about 35 miles, he is 82:)

nice find, now you have A proper tool for measuring the angle on your own very axe, buy the old fellow a decent bottle of whisky. Also make a copy of that marker, for future reference and take the copy with you when you are out and about in the fields. if you loose you always have the original at home.
p.s, a copy would be a nice gift to me as well. ha.ha he says.
cheers the interceptor boy.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
It looks like it's craftsman made, rather than a mass produced factory item.
I made similar things for drill point and screw thread angles when I was an apprentice. The lettering looks like it's done with letter stamps.
Still a nice thing to have. As the interceptor boy said it might be a good idea to make a duplicate.
I think I might make a couple up to suit my GB and Bahco axes when I find the time and a bit of brass sheet.

Dave.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I dont think that the letters are done with stamps, they are too perfect to have been done with them

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I thought they looked a bit up & down, and not all the upright strokes are parallel. Of course, I've been wrong before!:lmao:

Dave

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's versions a bit like that but with many differing angle gauges around their circumference.
Usually for chisels/plane irons and so on. I have one made by Veritas but to be honest this one looks better than mine as its got more angles on it.
Kell_Bevel_Angle_Gauge.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Hadnt realy thought that it was that old, seeing as there are so many Elwell axe's and hooks etc still around, shows how good there are. Elwell merged with a few others to form Spearwell in '67
Spearwell20info_zpsf3cd19ab.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE