Grow your own spice rack!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spices are often overlooked in peoples plans for self reliance but food without herbs and spices is dour bland stuff.

Our latest video looks at how to grow & use a useful range of herbs and spices. It's very possible in this country to grow enough to produce a wonderful array of Chinese, Italian, Thai and Indian dishes.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Do you have any recomendation for mild chillies? We always grow our own and generally like ones that give a good flavour rather than just heat.

Smoking them also worked and is something worth a try.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you have any recomendation for mild chillies? We always grow our own and generally like ones that give a good flavour rather than just heat.

Smoking them also worked and is something worth a try.
For mild I like Lemon Aji (citrus notes), Chilhuacle Negro (smoky chocolate), Slim Jim from real seeds are good too.

Reactions: scruff and slowworm

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ref the Fig trees - how old are they please? Did you take them on from sapling or have some fairly mature specimens?
They are about 5 years old. They are impossible to kill & easy to propagate. If you could collect I would give you some.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
They are about 5 years old. They are impossible to kill & easy to propagate. If you could collect I would give you some.

Thats a very generous offer - too far I think but still very generous.

I have some figs in the greenhouse but still quite small. I'm concerned about leaving them outside - I maybe being a bit of a nervous ninny on that point.

Maybe I should just pot them up to a larger pot and leave them outside?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have some figs in the greenhouse but still quite small. I'm concerned about leaving them outside - I maybe being a bit of a nervous ninny on that point.

Maybe I should just pot them up to a larger pot and leave them outside?
As you know you do need to restrict the roots but a big pot is fine (and can be buried in the ground too). These one have seen -10C without issue. In Hampshire I know some massive fig trees (20' plus).

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As you know you do need to restrict the roots but a big pot is fine (and can be buried in the ground too). These one have seen -10C without issue. In Hampshire I know some massive fig trees (20' plus).
And they fruit on a regular basis? Are we talking a few fruit or plentiful? Figs with a little cheese and honey is a guilty pleasure of mine.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We inherited a fig with our house and every year it produces hundreds of large figs every year. Sadly it seems to be growing in an old scrap heap so I'm reluctant to eat them.

I have taken cuttings and have had a few figs produced in pots but they do seem to like a bit more room than a pot. (I need to take some more cuttings as the main plant may need to be dug out).

I've never know a fig get killed by the cold, lack of water or poor drainage tends to kill young plants.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I don't want to derail your thread too much but what other soft fruit trees ( conventional or not ) do you find very prolific? I'm looking for a heavy fruiting Plum I can have as an espalier.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't want to derail your thread too much but what other soft fruit trees ( conventional or not ) do you find very prolific? I'm looking for a heavy fruiting Plum I can have as an espalier.
Plums are fickle but if you get a good one they are great. My one bit of advice is to prune in Summer. Winter pruning lets bacterial canker in. Varieties well, Victoria of course but Opal are reliable and Green Gages taste awesome. Strictly speaking they are stone fruit rather than soft fruit which is more berries etc.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I for one would appreciate the laksa recipe, if you wouldn’t mind please? :)
Hi Dave,

Laksa is a bit of a hybrid dish (Thai / Malaysian / Chinese) & there are many variations. Like so many noodle dishes it really is all about the stock! Given the time of year (chicken killing season) I am making an enormous batch as we speak!

Chicken Stock by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Anyway, if you are a reader of recipes, this is a great place to start

Reactions: FerlasDave

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those who prefer to watch a recipe, this is "Aunty Liz" (of Uncle Roger fame). Her food is...look, just watch it

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
@TeeDee here's a photo of the figs from our tree. A good size and popular with the wildlife including hornets. I'll take some cuttings and might have a plant or two spare in a year; I don't think it is the usual Brown Turkey cultivar, so hope it is one more suited to Devon and worth cultivating.IMG_20240831_103510909~2.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
@TeeDee here's a photo of the figs from our tree. A good size and popular with the wildlife including hornets. I'll take some cuttings and might have a plant or two spare in a year; I don't think it is the usual Brown Turkey cultivar, so hope it is one more suited to Devon and worth cultivating.View attachment 90208

Thank you that very generous of you - more than happy to either pickup in person or pay for postage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE