Group Read..

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I am more of a book-aholic than i am a kit-aholic so i am wondering is anyone would be interested in doing a group read.. we pic a book and then read it and then... have a bit of a chat about it.. nice and simple..
so if anyone is interested in doing it then chuck some ideas for which book we should read first, and once we have a a few titles we can have a poll on which one we should use!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd be interested in that TomTom, though I might not be able to contribute much since I hit the deck running next week and don't stop until early October.
How about a 'pass around' of some books. Those old well worn ones that you can't get hold of any more.
I've got the Australian 'Bushcraft Handbooks, Ropes & Cords' by Richard Graves somewhere, I'll offer that as a starter. It's a light weight booklet that a couple of stamps will post. I'd really like a look at the "Huts & Thatching" one in the same series if anyone has a copy.

Cheers,
Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's a great idea mate, run with it. You might want to formulate how you're going to go about it, if it's a monthly thing, based on a subject or a particular book etc. You could do something like....trees, over this next month people will read the tree books they have and then you can all compare how good they are so see which you think is the best. Or you could all pick the same book, some may have it, some may need to buy it.
You could do a pass around book, but with rare books it could be a bit risky, or it could take an age for it to do the rounds which would get boring for some.

It's up to you guys but I do suggest some organisation to it :D

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi tom that sounds like a good idea.
we could do a group purchase of some books where we all put some cash in to buy them then pass them around .
after maybe we could raffle them off to the group members (when we have all read them )
just a thought but there are loads of books out there i would like to read all the tom brown jnr and nesmuks etc :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sounds good! I've done this before on forums with mixed success. People can get a little behind on the reading. One trick was to have a bunch of different sticky threads going on the same book, that focus on different chapters. That way, people can jump into the conversation wherever they want. Just a thought.

How a about a list of books to pick from?

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Hoodoo said:
Sounds good! I've done this before on forums with mixed success. People can get a little behind on the reading. One trick was to have a bunch of different sticky threads going on the same book, that focus on different chapters. That way, people can jump into the conversation wherever they want. Just a thought.

How a about a list of books to pick from?

Sounds an excellent idea. We could do a number of bushcraft "classics" - manuals like Nessmuk, Kephardt, Kochanski, autobiography and even (bushcrafty) fiction if people feel it's appropriate. Kids stuff might be good, too, for those with a new generation to encourage. I know stuff like "Brendon Chase" and "My Side of the Mountain" started me on this sort of thing as a child.

Possibly even one of Ray's books - if we can skip the internecine warfare :rolleyes:

Stop me skip-reading stuff, too. Bad habit from too many software manuals...

Jim.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
JimH said:
Nessmuk, Kephardt, Kochanski.
.... Kids stuff might be good, too, for those with a new generation to encourage
..."Brendon Chase"
Jim.

All of which I might have usefully mentioned I own :rolleyes: and would be happy to offer as passarounds on loan...

...and I've two copies of Roger Philips' Edible Plants, so one could do the rounds (mind you, to review it properly you need all year!!! :eek:

Jim.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
A group read sounds a great idea. It would help to focus our readfing and maybe reduce the number of questions being repeated on the more popular topics.

Hoodoos idea of several sticky threads per book has merit.

Might even stop Hoodoo buying a knife for a while ;)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
tomtom said:
I am more of a book-aholic than i am a kit-aholic so i am wondering is anyone would be interested in doing a group read.. we pic a book and then read it and then... have a bit of a chat about it.. nice and simple..
so if anyone is interested in doing it then chuck some ideas for which book we should read first, and once we have a a few titles we can have a poll on which one we should use!

Nice idea TomTom. I'm a big reader too and rarely watch TV. If I'm not outdoors, I'm reading. I'd like to put forward 'Deep Survival' by Laurence Gonzales. If you havn't read it you should. One of the best books I've ever read. It's all about the psychology of survival and thought processes in a survival situation. It goes into the mechanics of an accident (stresses and pressures) and the stages (moods and feelings) people go through in survival situations. With analysis of real events and stories it takes an depth look how human minds work in these stressful situations and advises on ways of coping and working out strategies. It also shows how very easily it could happen to you, even if you know a great deal of bushcraft and have all the latest kit. Excellent book

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I'm interested in this idea too

I'd like to give Tom Brown's ones a go

The idea of the bulk buy could mean we at least read the same book at roughly the same time

Excuse my ignorance but could somebody explain the sticky thread thing? :confused:
I'm not as young as I should be

Steve

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have to agree with Falling Rains recommendation of 'Deep Survival' by Laurence Gonzales. First rate book. Very thought provoking.

Anyone know of any other good books on the subject as its something i am very interested in.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Wayne said:
I have to agree with Falling Rains recommendation of 'Deep Survival' by Laurence Gonzales. First rate book. Very thought provoking.

Anyone know of any other good books on the subject as its something i am very interested in.

only thing is you guys have already read it..

my personal thoughts were to go for more of a book book than a field guide!

but theres a lot of ideas going on here most of which are good.. what does everyone think would be best?!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I think finding a book that none of us bookworms have not already read and would want to is no easy task.

An old time story in the syle of Nessmuk would be good fun. Although another field guide is always a useful addition to my growing collection.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here are some suggestions:

Cache Lake Country - John Rowlands
Dangerous River - R.M. Patterson
Canoeing the Adirondacks with Nessmuk
One Man's Wilderness - Sam Keith
The Singing Wilderness - Sigurd F. Olson
The Men of the Last Frontier - Grey Owl
Pilgrims of the Wild - Grey Owl
Sajo and the Beaver People - Grey Owl
Ada Blackjack - Jennifer Niven
High Latitudes - Farley Mowat
The Exploration of the Colorado River and It's Canyons - John Wesley Powell
Undaunted Courage - Stephen Ambrose
Deep Survival - Laurence Gonzales
The Last of the Mountain Men - Harold Peterson
Nahanni Trailhead - Joanne Ronan Moore
Our Southern Highlanders - Horace Kephart
Once Upon a Wilderness - Calvin Rutstrum
Paradise Below Zero - Calvin Rutstrum
North American Canoe Country - Calvin Rutstrum
The Contented Poacher - Elantu B. Veovode
Bushcraft Survival - Ray Mears
My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead George
Two Little Savages - Ernest Thompson Seton
Journal of a Trapper 1834-1843 - Osborne Russell
Sleep Close to the Fire - Jim Allen
Up In Smoke - Jim Allen
Great Heart - James West Davidson and John Rugge
Ishi In Two Worlds - Theodora Kroeber
A Pilgrim's Journey - Mark A. Baker

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ooh thanks hoodoo.. :D you just reminded me of grey owl! this would be a good one imho as there is a lot of interesting disscussion to be had!

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
...count me in on a book club. I have sevreal books on my shelf that, to my shame, have not been read. I have Tom Brown Jnr, Mears, Kephart et al.. but don't have any new thoughts on how to oiperate the club. I am willing to donate a book, but as said before, that would take an age to do the rounds... :confused:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
sodajoe said:
but as said before, that would take an age to do the rounds... :confused:

yes i like the idea of us all reading the same book.. but us all reading the same copy is going to take way to long.. the people who read it first will, likley have forgotten a lot of the detail by the time the last people are read to discuss!?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE