Groundsheet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2015
Aberdeen
I am looking to try a few bivvy trips this year.

Are there any suggestions for a light weight groundsheet that I could pack that doesn't cost a fortune.

I have seen ones that look like clear plastic sheeting, but no idea what that is?

Thanks
Paul

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
You can get cheap (green) tarps in the pound shops. They're only thin, but ideal as ground sheets when bivvying.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Pop in to your local Wilkos and in the garden section you'll find they have various sizes of woodland-friendly coloured bottle green tarps.
They're quite cheap. They make great groundsheets.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I use a bit of tyvek. Folds up quite small, and fairly light. Main reason is it was free for me :rolleyes:

If theres any house builders/joiners near you, they may have some you could get. Used as a barrier on kit houses and other.

This is what I use although I'm not convinced of how necessary a ground sheet is if you put your pad inside the bivvy. Still experimenting with that one :).

I prefer just having a small groundsheet for somewhere clean and dry to sit my gear.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a Tyvek sheet. Very light though can sound like you're sleeping in a crisp packet until you break it in a bit.

Yeah, can be a bit noisy. Bit better if crunch it all up first, makes it a bit easier to fold also.

A good soak in hot water fixes any annoying crinkling

I find tyvek okay but it gets overwhelmed too easily in soggy conditions

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE