Groundsheet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
A good soak in hot water fixes any annoying crinkling

I find tyvek okay but it gets overwhelmed too easily in soggy conditions

That's interesting you mention that Rich. A mate of mine used a new tyvek sheet as a groundsheet under his hammock for the first time on a trip last year and it tended to let moisture through when stood or knelt on. Don't know if all tyveks are made equal though or whether some grades or specs are more suited...?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The clear plastic sheeting is visqueen (usually pronounced "bisquick" here in the Southeast US) It's sold very cheaply in DIY stores and hardware/contractor supply stores. Like others have said, it's noisy for a ground sheet, but it has multitudes of uses in camp, on building/construction sites, at home, etc.

TRM-POLY-SHEET-GENERIC_1.jpg

Last edited:

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I second putting your mat into the bivi. Just rolling it up together at home. Save fitting inside if it's pouring.

Failing that. British army IPK sheet. Comes with 6 aluminium pegs which are good quallity. Check ebay.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
A good soak in hot water fixes any annoying crinkling

I find tyvek okay but it gets overwhelmed too easily in soggy conditions

Interesting, need to try that.
Ive never noticed water coming through mine, and i usually sit on it or kneel on it. There are diffrent types of it though, so some maybe better than others for a groundsheet.

I was looking in the screwfix catalogue earlier and theres quite a selection of thin clear plastic polypro stuff under painting supplies as carpet/window protectors, so may be worth a look if your after that sort of thing. Though you could probably get a groundsheet, tarp, tent and then cover your house out of a roll. So maybe not ideal :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE