Ground Hog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Does anyone else sleep on the ground when out and about or is it just me that does not like to be suspended at waist height all night?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It all depends on the place - rough/boggy ground = hammock.
Nice level dry ground = ground.
In summer I tend to go to ground as I can sleep in the "starfish" position if I get too warm!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
LOL!!!

My usual haunts are sandy mixed mature woodland so ground moisture is not a problem

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Ground for me too. Tried the hammock, not for me. Only so many times you can put up with the hammock wrestle after a midnight pee.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I recently bought an alpkit hunka for testing, I found it ok, but much prefer the hammock for comfort. I think it will just depend on what mood im in and where I go what ill take in future. I can pritty much sleep anywhere.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I love sleeping in my hammock, in fact so much so that I felt compelled to write this short song 'Living on the Ceiling' about hammocking back in the 80's. I then made the mistake of sharing it with vocalist Neil Arthur from British synthpop band Blancmange in a pub in Harrow, who subsequently plagarised it for a well known song.

You keep me running the hammock lines round and round, [I use a round turn and two half hitches]
Well, that's alright with me
Up and down, I'm up the wall, I'm up the bloody tree
That's alright with me, yeah, that's alright with me
Well, it feels alright to me, yeah, it looks alright to me
[but my advice would be to check the knots before you get in]

And I'm so tall, I'm so tall
You raise me and then you let me fall
I'm so small, I'm so small
Wrap me round your finger, see me fall
Here we go......:

Neil and I have not spoken since, although he does send me a Christmas card each year. True Story.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
As said before, both depends on what and where, but I do prefer my hammock (1 of 3).

Aaron, :lmao: :lmao: Sorry mate but I dont beleive a word. Damd good song though. Radio version had the edit and Cukoo was used in place of bloody! Never seen a cukoo tree.:rolleyes:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hammocks are for monkeys and savages.

You didnt catch Nessmuk using one, did you?

Nor the Scouts.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gotta be carefull about saying I swing both ways:eek:
Love the hammock all through the year with my modified Ogripod, also enjoy the warmth of the Laavu and woodstove - it just depends on the situation I find myself in.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I usually sleep wrapped in the arms of the great mother of us all. Never felt the desire to sleep in the air. Plus my historical "camping" leads away from those 1700's and 1800's naval/sailor things.

And YES, I've slept in all conditions on the ground - mud, snow, rock, sand, with grass/leaf padding, even froze solid ground and freezing slush in an old cornfield. Some was comfortable, some was not, and some you just endured/survived. Altho, I do try hard to keep parts of me out of flowing water.

And in HOT weather, that "starfish" style sleeping while sky-clad helps - if the breeze keeps the bugs away and you can put up with all the laughter from the women folk (who seldom seem to follow the example).:rolleyes:

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"And in HOT weather, that "starfish" style sleeping while sky-clad helps - if the breeze keeps the bugs away and you can put up with all the laughter from the women folk (who seldom seem to follow the example)." MA

The traditional image of a starfish has five limbs....:cool:

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Ground for me too. Tried the hammock, not for me. Only so many times you can put up with the hammock wrestle after a midnight pee.

Tried a Hammock several times but never got around to buying myself one - fancy one of those trick ones with tarp etc but....as I said. Ground all the time..

Steve

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
Ive been using hammock and tarp for a while now but went out last month with just a wool blanket and poncho and had a great nights sleep,but ill use the hammock when the grounds wet.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I spent a night on the ground in front of a fire with Bernies' feet to rest my head on the last weekend. Bernie was busy cooking himself! We were limited to the distance we could get as it was the barbeque brick thingy at Hill Holt Wood and it is under a lean to. You should be a full pace and a half away from a fire to keep warm but not fry yourself. We were about a half pace away! I had two blankets and a thermarest, Bernie roughed it with his Confederate sleeping system of a woolen blanket and oiled camvas waterproof cover. I woke up now and then to throw another log on the fire and keep the embers alive. Bernie woke up now and then to water the trees!

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE