grey redish squirrel ?

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
I got home yesterday from a two day kayak wild camping trip in Brecon. Whilst paddling along the water I noticed a squirrel on the bank, at first I thought bloody hell its a red, but then thought it cant be. I've never seen one this colour before, could this be an offspring of a grey that mated with a red years ago ? Ive seen a pure white squirrel in kent years ago too , but seeing one that had so much red on its coat seemed quite amazing has any one else seen a reddish grey?

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Morpeth, Northumberland
Reds and Greys can't crossbreed. You do find reds that are quite light and even grey tinged (older animals) and greys can sometimes have a red tinge. Not that long ago our squirrel ranger found a 'red' squirrel that appeared huge. After having a looksie through binos he decided that it was a grey and shot it.

Reds are smaller and slight build with big ear tufts. Greys are big b***ards and don't have ear tufts. Colour varies greatly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The greys round here have red backs. Bigger than the reds altogether though, and the tails and ears are different too.

cheers,
Toddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Reds and greys behave very differently too. Reds often give me the impression that they haven't quite decided where they're going or what they're doing. Greys are altogether more sure of themselves, they seem to decide where to go and head straight there, usually a lot quicker than a red. You do see the odd grey kept as a pet, but don't try to handle one unless you know what you're doing, they can be very aggressive. In the UK it's illegal to release a grey into the wild, for example if it's been trapped. You either have to keep it, get someone to take it from you, or kill it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE