Grey Mullet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
tmullet1.jpg

DO you eat them? i know you can, but round here no one bothers to catch them "the french eat them" is just about all that is said, i have heard that they must be left in freash water for some time can be eaten (as i live on a large estury and they are bottom feeder) to clean them out, this isnt much good for bushcraft enless your staying in one place for a long time!

id like to hear what you guys/gals do with them!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Bought some once 'cos they were cheap. Found a recipe at home which helpfully said 'the cooked fish tastes a bit like mud'. It was edible but not really a tasty meal.

Bill

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've caught a fair few Grey mullet both here and in Japan where they are known as Bora, and in my opinion they are not really nice fish at all to eat. Muddy tasting, but I havn't tried keeping them in fresh water though
They're not the easiest of fish to catch either with very small mouths and are known to be a little fussy at times. Small ball of bread on a small (12) hook should just about be OK. 2 or 3 maggots on size 12 hook is also good.

Cheers :wave:

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
It's not the best fish in the world to eat but I’m sure if you were a hungry bush crafter it would be a welcome meal.

I do know a few lads who spear and fish for mullet regularly.
I’ve seen them in the fish mongers on the coast a few times which I’ve asked him if they are any good to eat to which he burst into laughter. Tourist fish.

Some species of mullet found in estuary’s are very slow growing and can easily be damaged by hooks I was once told by a bloke who was crazy for mullet fishing. He always put his back.

jakunen

Native
Too right Nick. I used to dump them in a net in the boarding house pond for a few days.

I used exactly the terminal you use too. They were also eaie to catch then the soft-lip browns we used to egt in teh Stour (Kent not Hampshire/Dorset) as well...

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have caught them on size 12's with bread but they are fussy as... and the bread is a pain, i have only caught a few and always put them back as i didnt think they were worth eating, i was thinking perhaps they might be good for my spear i am planing to make as they are so numerous..

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I used to catch them in the harbour in Exmouth and haul them up with a drop net. That was a few years ago mind, and I beleive they've banned fishing in the harbour now. In Fukuoka (Japan) I used to catch them off a sea wall, and all the Japanese fishermen used to throw them back saying they were 'Kusai' Which means smelly, but is also a term used for anything that is edible but not particularlly good tasting. I suppose if you were really hungry you could eat them, but I personally wouldn't out of choice.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Blimey...you're all talking about fish!!!!!!

I saw the title and thought you were all talking about old (grey) men/women with dodgy hair cuts....short on the top and sides and very long at the back.....very Pat Sharp in the 80's!

Right, I'd better shut up then as I nothing about these fish.....on the other hand....if you were interested in hair cuts you might like to try this place for the best mullets in the world..... :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

http://www.ratemymullet.com/?page=all :nana:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
bambodoggy said:
Blimey...you're all talking about fish!!!!!!

I saw the title and thought you were all talking about old (grey) men/women with dodgy hair cuts....short on the top and sides and very long at the back.....very Pat Sharp in the 80's!

Right, I'd better shut up then as I nothing about these fish.....on the other hand....if you were interested in hair cuts you might like to try this place for the best mullets in the world..... :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

http://www.ratemymullet.com/?page=all :nana:

Hahahahhhaa Me too !!!! :eek:): :rolmao:

www.mulletjunky.com :biggthump

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i used to catch them a lot when i worked on a fish farm in the aegean

they would swarm around the fish cages so thick that to catch them all you had to do was drag a triple hook through the shoal

as far as eating them went they were excellent but i think the fish farm area was not their usual habitat

they prefer brackish water and can be heard on still days "nibbling" at the water surface in shoals

my guess is that brackish water is often muddy hence the comments about the taste

also a popular fish in italy

as you can guess from my comments i only ever ate them VERY fresh

couple of other bits, the biggest one my g/f caught was nearly 2 kilos
and while trying to catch them by feeding them and drawing a net under them , i was amazed to see them panic and jump over my head height out the water to escape

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE