Greetings from the Hebrides

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

JeremyH

Hello one and all,
Really like the site and forum. Good to be able to exchange and share
info non-competitively.
Let me introduce myself: I run a birding/wilderness business on Islay,Hebrides Scotland.
I have been involved in Outdoor Environmental Education/Ranger, teaching/ leading expeditions for over 20 years working not only here but throughout Europe and Southern Africa.
We are now settled here. Excellent wilderness to test ones skills! Yep I'm still learning too! :lol:
Best of luck to you all.

JeremyH
www.islaybirding.co.uk

J

Jamie

Welcome aboard Jeremy, good to have you here.

Lots of people with lots of different experiences to draw on so feel free to get stuck in!

What sort of Outdoor Environmental Education/Ranger, teaching have you done? And do you still manage to do that with your birding tours?

All the best

J

JeremyH

Thanks,

I still do some ranger and EE work - everything from Tree Planting, helping farmers with local conservation issues, running kids workshops (art/nature/story), canoeing, and other outdoor wilderness 'things/happenings'.

Am thinking about developing these - vis-a-vis journeyman expeditions here on Islay - what do you think :?:

Treebeard

Jan 3, 2004
Kent UK
That sounds really good. I've never been to the Hebrides, but what I've seen on T.V. it looks fantastic for wildlife etc. Go for it!!

J

JeremyH

Stew,
you are right about the TV thing. However it was in the northern isles - Taransay-treeless and people trying to escape and not work together!
Here on Islay we have woods, forest and hills. The southern most isle and
2hrs ferry from Mull of Kintyre.

have a lok on my birding website:

www.islaybirding.co.uk
Cheers :biggthump

J

Jamie

Sounds wonderful Jeremy and just the job for me when I've finished my course!!! :roll:

Where were you before Islay and how did you manage to land a plum site like that?

Nice site btw.

J

JeremyH

Before Islay....Travelling around mainland europe for six months in our landrover and roof tent with three kids (thats survival!) - before that Norfolk for 5 yrs and before that Dorset! -

JeremyH

www.islaybirding.co.uk[/quote]

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I went to Blandford Forum the other day as a detor from an Archaeology fieldtrip. There is a great Cafe that does fantastic, cheap full English breakfasts. :-D
It appears to be the hairdressing capital of Europe! Practically every other shop is one. :-? :lol:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hey you've been here a while anyway.
You get some fine whisky on that there island.
Are you going to the Bird fair at Rutland Water?
And was it you that mentioned some birding charts that helps to identify birds by character, wing beats, silhouette etc?
Great to have you here.
Rich

J

JeremyH

Not charts - but there's a ery good book by Dominic Couzens - Birds By Behaviour - Collins. I use it alot with students/clients.
Sorry will not be going to the bird fair but will be at Wilderness Gathering. Try only to get to the mainland once a year...! :roll: But you are welcome here anytime!
JeremyH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE