Greetings from N. Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
Bog standard new guy here.
I've been reading a fair bit these last few days and you guys have some great content.
Quick question to get the ball rolling...
I'm about to drop £130 on my first decent knife, Casstrom Lars falt, is this a good choice?
Thanks in advance

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Hallo and Welcome to the forum!

I don't own this knife, but as it is designed by Lars Fält, one of Europe's leading survival trainers, and made by a Swedish quality manufacturer, I assume that it should be very convincing.

Alternatively you should have a look to the also Swedish made Morakniv Garberg in the stainless version with leather sheath and the Finnish made Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110 with leather sheath.

While the Jääkäripuukko 110 is relatively similar to the Fält knife, the stainless steel version of the Garberg is rust protected and has a slightly thinner blade what theoretically makes it a bit less indestructible but more usefull as a kitchen knife.

But all three are as good as indestructible in intended use, and the intended use is to use them in a wilderness survival situation, although you can perfectly carve a toothpick with them and use them as an all purpose bushcraft, trekking, hiking, fishing, hunting and camping knife.

In my opinion these three are the best offers on the world market in this price class and I personaly wouldn't spend more money into a knife, because these three should perfectly do the job.

Would you plan to go a lot for winter camping, or would you live in northern Skandinavia, Russia, Canada or Alaska, the both knifes with moulded polyamid or rubber handle would be probably the better choice, because the handle construction of these avoids that you freeze with the skin of the hand to the metal of the tang if you use in really cold conditions the knife without gloves.

Would you go a lot for paddling, fishing or plan to use it in very whet circumstances I would rather recommend the stainless Morakniv Garberg, also if you would want to leave the survival knife in the car for extended periods of time.

(For mainly fishing also the for bushcraft use less convincing plastic sheath for the Garberg would probably be a good idea.)

Regularly used a non stainless steel blade gets a patina but doesn't cause problems. If you put a thin film of coconut oil (or other food oil) onto the blade before you put it for longer times away in a dry place in a heated room, you shouldn't get problems with such a carbon steel knife, like the Jääkäripukko or Fält knife.

Apart of this, also your personal taste may decide here between these three knives. All three are very good bushcraft and survival knives without any doubt.

All three are in my opinion a far better choice than every other offer in this price range.

(The Japanese made Fällkniven F1 would be another option though, but it doesn't work so well as a food preparation knife. It is a pure military survival knife, no all purpose hiking knife.)

More expensive knifes aren't better in my opinion, just more expensive, because not industrial made but handmade with higher costs. You also pay for a very individual product in this case.

Garberg, Jääkäripuukko and Fält knife are mass produced industrial high end quality products, like a Rolex Submariner, nothing special, but high end quality without any doubt.

So, if you like the Lars Fält knife, just get it my dear! You surely will not regret it.

I use the stainless Morakniv Garberg. Would I decide to get also the Lars Fält knife, I would order additional the dangler in the XL version, what makes it a bit more comfortable to sit down somewhere for example in the car. And you can attach the knife easier to your belt if you use it. The dangler stays at the belt, and you just clip in the sheath without opening the belt. That's very practical, especially if one lives in an area where it is unsual to carry a belt knife in daily life.
That's also good in combination with the hip belt of a modern rucksack. (In this case the D-ring stays at the sheath. )

Attention: As far as I understood are Fält knife and Jääkäripuukko 110 due to its blade thickness classified as illegal weapons in France. The Garberg is just illegal to carry without good reason.
(That's one of the reasons why I did choose the Garberg.)

In Germany you can carry them all three in daily life at the belt without problems.
It's sensible to inform yourelf about the laws of the countries, where you want to use them.

Last edited:

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
Thank you for the awesome, informative reply. I will be using the knife primarily for camping and hiking in my local forests and mountains. I've bought everything else needed these last few weeks and a decent knife is the last piece of the puzzle.
I realise that non stainless steel takes a bit more care to keep in top condition but I dont mind, especially with something this pretty.
I really like all the knives mentioned above but as this will probably be the only knife I buy, the beauty of the Lars is the deciding factor for me.
I will absolutely take your advice with regards to the dangler as walking around with a visible knife in N.Ireland will lead to a conversation with the local police at the very least.
You have really put my mind at ease as I've been researching for couple of days and there is a LOT of information to assimilate. Thank you.
Is there a list of trusted UK shops that you folks buy knives from?
I've came across quite a few online and some look very dodgy.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's a question the Brits in this forum will surely answer tomorrow.

The Brexit changed a bit the rules regarding bushcraft equipment, and I usually looked up knives in a large Dutch shop with very informative and clear German and English homepage.

This Dutch shop here I mean:

One could ones more think about if the choice should be further adjusted. There are also a flat grind and a very similar but slightly smaller Casström No10 Scandi grind on the market, as you can see in the link above.
Should you be small, a smaller knive might be a good idea, although if it's normally whet in your area because it's raining a lot, a larger knife could be the first choice because with it it's easier to split wood to start a fire. The Fält knife is optimised for that!

As I never visited Ireland I can't recommend here so well. If you are tall, the Fält knive seems to be the best choice anyway. Even from Berlin I can see that Ireland is no desert. The weight difference between both knives doesn't really matter.

We have here in the Forum members who own these knives, and probably others have seen and used them at meetings, so I assume that you can find informations about them if you search for it in the forum, you could directly ask the people who own it via personal message, and here are for sure a few knife freaks who made slicing tests with carrots and sausages with all available versions of Casström knives.

Carrot slices tend to hop away if you cut them with a thick scandi grind knife like the Fält knife.

But for hiking you should in my opinion carry additional a Victorinox Compact anyway, with blister needele, tin opener / beer bottle opener/screw driver -- multi usage tool, pen, tweezers, tothpick, the grey eye glasses screw driver in the cork screw, nail file at the lightweight tent stake pulling hook, and NAIL SCISSORS.
You could cut your carrots also with this blade...

I totally agree, that you should research well, think about what you like, and than BUY ONE BELT KNIVE for the rest of your life. We all own or owned more belt knives, but mainly, because we bought them before we could ask in such forums for the best option.

There is absolutely no reason to collect knives. You can and should buy different socks, because you need to try out what's the best sock for you.

But in the end one knife is nearly like the other, if it's no nonsense construction. The differences aren't so big, as one could get the impression if one looks into bushcraft forums.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I can't find one at places I know, there's one here though - https://www.originalequipmentshop.c...falt_bushcraft_knife_by_casstrom/25469_p.html

If you like the look of the Casstrom it go for it, it will stand you in good stead, allow you tog et now tie doing things and be reliable, then you can change it, keep it or add to it as you want in the future.

Good to have you on the forums, looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
That is the only one I can find also. Cant find any reviews for the company or anyone thats used them.
Just going to have to take a chance.
I plan on hiking into the the Mournes ( local mountains) for wild camping and some photography, especially dark sky shots.
I'm sure I will put plenty of the info here to good use.
Thanks Tony, and to everyone else for the warm welcome.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Rustyspurs

Feb 7, 2021
N.Ireland
I can't find one at places I know, there's one here though - https://www.originalequipmentshop.c...falt_bushcraft_knife_by_casstrom/25469_p.html

If you like the look of the Casstrom it go for it, it will stand you in good stead, allow you tog et now tie doing things and be reliable, then you can change it, keep it or add to it as you want in the future.

Good to have you on the forums, looking forward to hearing about your adventures.
They have stopped delivering to N.Ireland. England Wales and Scotland is fine but we are out of the picture apparently

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If it's like that, you probably should try the Dutch that I mentioned above?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE