Greenwood oak arches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wirchs

Apr 14, 2011
FR
This is my first post here so hi to all. I'm not a very experienced in bushcraft but this is definately something I'm looking to do more of.

To start with, I have been asked to create a pair of rustic looking, fairytale like archways, which will provide an entrance and exit to an Elaeagnus perimeter hedge. They will be made from greenwood oak which will come from coppiced trees on the site of the project. The wood itself is very suitable for the project as 2 of the trees have very thick and straight central branches which will more than suffice for 4 main pillars.

The general trend is that we want to keep the bark and original look of the wood, leaving it to age naturally, but revealing a little of the sapwood in the large crude looking joints. We're not sure yet whether they will look like a curved arch, or something more angular. Such things will probably be dictated by the wood itself.

I'm hoping that some of you folk can give me some tips on achieving the project. Examples of jointing in greenwood carpentry would be useful for me. I've seen a little bit of this done using hand crafted green wood pins and that's very interesting. The arches will be constructed on site using a chainsaw and basic bushcraft tools. I'm also interested to hear if anyone has ideas on finishing, with regard to preserving the wood throughout its outdoor life.

I'll be trawling through videos and such like with relation to this project but would very much appreciate any advice that you may have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE