greenheat

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
hey everyone, does anyone know where to get hold of the bottles of greenheat, im kinda getting sick of scrapping the left over sachets from the bottom of my crusader cooker and im about to do the west highland way next month and dont fancy taking 28 seperate sachets with me. any help in this matter would be appreciated........ col

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Col,

Honestly I would not bother with "fire snot". Its probably the least effective fuel I have ever tried. Some hexamine in your cooker works far more efficiently (or just use a hexamine cooker which has a cut out for a crusader cup).

Cheaper too.

Or invest in a small spirit burner and stand (less than £10 from lakeland bushcraft) and then use regular meths - much cheaper, more effecient and widely available.

I love my crusader system but greenheat is dreadful stuff

Red

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks Red, I too love my crusader system and havent really got a problem with fire snot, as you called it. i think i must have about 4 different stove systems up in the loft but i just feel the simplicity of the crusader system beats them all, as to meths, i live in scotland and often have to cook in my tent vestible area and although its raining alot i dont fancy my chances in a tent if it went up cause of meth spillage, so as i say if anyone knows where to get the bottles, please do tell.....col

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Sniper and I use it as a firestarter with a hobo stove then whatever wood (twigs,cones etc) are around.
Much better imo.

Millets did have the tins but tbh I don't think I've seen them in shop for a while.

Tom.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com

hello one and all, I have been experimenting with the bbq lighting fluid (more like a sloppy white gel) available from most supermarket and found it to be just as good if not better than fire snot, never taken it on a long journey but I am planning on using it on my next venture into the local (semi) wilds by filling an old fire snot can with the stuff.

I can usually manage to find the bbq gel in 500 ml or 1ltr bottles that look okay to carry in a rucksack with a little care.

cheers!

Sean

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Without a very hard to obtain license in the UK, producing ethanol will earn you a trip to court and a criminal record I'm afraid. Obtaining pure ethanol is remarkably difficult too.

Red

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
hi there mate
why dont you try army surplus shops where you can buy it in a little swedish army emergency stove which is a tin of green heat with a pot stand and some matches for about a fiver

other than that i would go with what everyone else suggests hexi is quite good once its lit
but trust me as i know about this very well is when you most need it to light it wont not with them stupid storm proof matches you get to light the stuff with in your ration pack unless its not blowing a breeze and its not wet and the weather it blooming hot get a gas stove
hope this helps

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
As Barn Owl has said I find the green snot pretty carp for cooking but a great way to get a hobo going quickly. Why not knock yourself up a simple hobo stove mate, that way you can find the fuel just lying around and use the green snot to get it going, I have certainly found the hobo to be a great little item which would be very handy for longer term treks, and because it uses wood it's much cheaper to run without the need to carry loads of spare fuel.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Not a big fan of those Green Heat fuel cells either.
But they are convenient, I suppose.
Anyway, you can get them from Cotswolds Outdoors. At least, they have them in my local Cotswolds.
They cost about £4.00 for two cans.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For the info of those who have not tried "Green Snot" since it was so useless when it first came on the scene - it has been 'reformulated' and is better than it was...not brillliant, but better!
It will actually boil about 1 pint of water per sachet now, in a not too bad time - I think that it can now be classed as a fuel, not a lighter....

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
My experience of it is that it's OK, as long as it's not too cold. Once your get down around freezing it becomes pretty much useless, at least in a crusader. Not sure if that was before or after reformulation though...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks for the advice guys, as john fenna says the snot has been changed and as someone from scotland where it may be slightly colder than most places in the uk i have never failed to get my crusader to a roiling boil in the last year and a half, i take it that everyone that has been using this greenheat from the satchet has been burning the sachet as well as i found you will get the extra time to get the water boiled no problem, i kinda think it has just got a bad rep now, but as i say i have had no probs with it.....col....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE