Greenheat Gel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Joe was the man back then and is probably worth a shout or maybe ODC could get them ?
I'd be interested in one if a bulk buy is going to get them at a good price.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
rapidboy said:
Joe was the man back then and is probably worth a shout or maybe ODC could get them ?
I'd be interested in one if a bulk buy is going to get them at a good price.

I give Andrew a shout ;)

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Phil562 said:
They look the dogs mutts, especiallly with the Trangia conversion, any good links to a good deal ;)

Just to let you know, the Lidl £7 'Trangias' have all the correct cut outs for retrofitting the Nova. ;)

It must have been a recent Trangia they ripped the pattern from..... :D

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Phil562 said:
Well if my old Trangia hasn't got the correct holes, it soon will have :cool:

I converted our three old model 25s and a 27 just by filing out holes in the grill. Even including de-burring and a scrub up with wire wool it took less than half hour to do the lot.

:D

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
addyb said:
Beck,

If you're looking for something really lightweight, try hexi tablets. Of course, you can't do much more than boil water or cook instant rice but for something fast and easy it'll work. Supplementing the tablets with dry twigs also seems to increase their output.

Of course, you can't COOK on hexi per say. I'm a devout Trangia man myself and I'll never again cook on petrol. I'd highly suggest a Trangia setup because they're just really really great stoves.

Adam

What are you on about addyb, of course you can cook on hexi, have been doing it for years...Of course you cannot cook a plate of Steak and chips, nor a Pizza and a whole host of other things...It wasn't designed to do that sort of cooking...It all depends on "how" you cook with it...It still stinks real bad and is dangerous to inhale the fumes, but I still keep a big bag of it...

LS

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Ludlow,

Sorry, that's essentially what I was trying to get at. You CAN cook on hexi, just not a three course meal like you'd do on a Trangia or MSR stove. :) More of a...quick meal or brew.

Cheers,

Adam

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
addyb said:
Ludlow,

Sorry, that's essentially what I was trying to get at. You CAN cook on hexi, just not a three course meal like you'd do on a Trangia or MSR stove. :) More of a...quick meal or brew.

Cheers,

Adam

I have never tried cooking with a trangia, but it is the fuel we'e talking about here, so can you help me here and explain what three course meal you can cook on a trangia fuel cell (for want of a better description) which you couldn'y cook on hexi blocks....

Thanks

LS

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
LS,

I'll bring a variety of Trangias in 3 weeks and we can find out mate- lemon chicken again :)?

To be fair, they are better at simmering as they are heat output adjustable via a "simmer ring" so are also better at that

Both are equal at fast heat (fry) or warming up (MRE) or boiling

Does that help mate?

Red

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
British Red said:
LS,

I'll bring a variety of Trangias in 3 weeks and we can find out mate- lemon chicken again :)?

To be fair, they are better at simmering as they are heat output adjustable via a "simmer ring" so are also better at that

Both are equal at fast heat (fry) or warming up (MRE) or boiling

Does that help mate?

Red

Thanks Red,

I guess I should reserve judgement for three weeks...I want to see this "simmer ring" in operation.

LS

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nay worries mate - its nothing fancy tbh - just a cover that slides over the burner pot and reduces the heat output by covering the meths - I would imagine you could achieve the same effect by using more or less Hexy to be fair. For me, gas or petrol stoves (coleman F1 types, gas, MSRs etc) do have the edge because you can control the heat whilst cooking very easily - Trangias work but its nowhere near as easy to raise and lower the flame.

Given the choice, I reckon its very difficult to beat a good fire - especially those like yours with pots stands and firepits - you can adjust the heat by moving stuff to hotter or colder places, roast, bake etc.

Red

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
British Red said:
Nay worries mate - its nothing fancy tbh - just a cover that slides over the burner pot and reduces the heat output by covering the meths - I would imagine you could achieve the same effect by using more or less Hexy to be fair. For me, gas or petrol stoves (coleman F1 types, gas, MSRs etc) do have the edge because you can control the heat whilst cooking very easily - Trangias work but its nowhere near as easy to raise and lower the flame.

Given the choice, I reckon its very difficult to beat a good fire - especially those like yours with pots stands and firepits - you can adjust the heat by moving stuff to hotter or colder places, roast, bake etc.

Red

Highlighted...Thats the lines I was thinking along Red, but didn't want to raise, as someone would no doubt say it is dangeroust to remove burning hexi from a cooker without first doing a risk assesment and having fire proof gloves and a fire extinguisher on hand, just in case....Me a couple of twigs and a bit of clear ground...

LS

Ps, know now how you got such good score with the sheep hunt...dial up is so slow compared with the broad band connection it is meant to be played on....

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Andrew Middleton said:
If you're tempted to use meths, just be warned that you can't buy it in Iceland. Let me qualify that; you couldn't buy it in 1987 when I was there. The reason is that Icelanders, at the time, couldn't get decent booze and used to drink meths, so they banned it!

Just to digress, their drying out clinic on the edge of Reykavik was one of the poshest buildings in Iceland. Not surprising since they used to have more alcoholics per head then any other country! Great place for it though; you need a stiff drink before indulging in some of their glacier sports.

You can buy meths in Iceland. I just asked on a German outdoor forum and recent visitors said you could pick it up at pertol stations.
Apparently you can often pick it up for free at camp sites when people leave stuff behind for other's to use. (can't take meths on a plane)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE