Greenheat Basecamp Stove.

Has anyone tried these stoves?

I'm looking for a stove to take on day hikes for brews etc and these look pretty good.

They give 2 hours (so it says) burn time and refils are around £3.00 and have flame control via a sliding lid.

41Sghs6ieIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenheat-Base-Camp-Stove/dp/B000LR1WT0/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1215533735&sr=1-59

Cheers.
Matt

D

Deleted member 4605

For that price (£18.99 on Amazon), and your requirements (brews) I'd rather pick up a Swedish Army Trangia from eBay (~ £10+ delivered) or a brand new Mini Trangia (£18 from Amazon).

Alternatively put together a hobo stove (there's loads of threads about making) for whatever you're willing to pay.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Has anyone tried these stoves?

I'm looking for a stove to take on day hikes for brews etc and these look pretty good.

They give 2 hours (so it says) burn time and refils are around £3.00 and have flame control via a sliding lid.

Cheers.
Matt

£3.00 a refill seems a bit steep especially when Bodge can get these for 85p which seem to be exactly the same except for the the windshield

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=414033&postcount=137

£3.00 a refill seems a bit steep especially when Bodge can get these for 85p which seem to be exactly the same except for the the windshield

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=414033&postcount=137

I have actually made a stand which goes on the top of my tin of fuel out of an old fruitini tin.
It works quite well and boils a mug of water in reasonable time, but may need some more vent holes in it.
I will put some photos up when I finish work tommorrow morning.

Bodge:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah, spark from a firesteel is all.

I hate firesnot - its just plain rubbish. Expensive hard to light, low heat output ....yeuk. I bought one packet and gave almost all away

Red

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Nah, spark from a firesteel is all.

I hate firesnot - its just plain rubbish. Expensive hard to light, low heat output ....yeuk. I bought one packet and gave almost all away

Red

I'm afraid I agree with Red here. Seems such a good idea but it just doesn't live up to expectations. Great smell of rum when its burning though!:D

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
And me - I've only had one good experience of using firesnot, the rest of the time I've been dissapointed. The stove as shown I found to be particually dissapointing, taking 10 minutes to get a pint of water to a bubble, and not going past that to a boil at all.

On the other hand the packets of the stuff can be useful as an accelerant when fire lighting, and are more convenient to carry than a bottle of BBQ gel...;)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
there used to be a white gel stove in a silver tin a few years back which worked well and the burner stand could clip around a dutch or US cup so you could use it with fuel tabs. the fluorescant looking (or however its spelt) green gel used in catering was also good. this new stuff lacks ooomph.

I wonder if meths and cornflour would work :)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This the the American equivalent of the green crap (UK seller though), but burns a little better

ebay item

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE