Green woodworking.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Hi all, just a quickie; how long after collecting a piece of wood can you leave it for it still to be considered "green' in wood carving terms? And am I right in thinking that green wood carves much easier than wood which has dried out for a while?

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
green just means that it still has the natural moisture in it, pretty much the sooner you carve it after you collect it the easier it will be, you do need to think about how the wood will dry out after youve carved it green though. probably the best way to go about it would be to carve it slightly oversize, dry it out gradually in a warm dry place like an airing cupboard, then finish it when its dry.

in general it lasts a reasonable while if youve left it outside, maybe a few weeks. you should be able to feel the difference, green wood will be denser.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
As said above. Greens nice to carve but you can get some distortion as it dries. You can try and keep any cut wood wet and either immersed in water or wrap it in a plastic bag. The later will start to go off after a bit, but once you carve into the wood it's fine.
My one bit of advice is to dry it slowly if its a bigger piece. Too fast and it can crack and split, so airing cupboard may be a bit fierce. On smaller bits its less of a problem and dries much quicker anyway. Spoons dry quite quick and I've yet to have one split. However I have had slight distortion on occasion. My opinion.

Try any greenwood you can get your hands on. They are all different but develop your skills. :sun:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Lime is the best, also birch is to look for and ash. Hardest for me to carve I found apple, then pear, oak and other hardwoods.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Birch is probably the easiest for me to get hold of, so that's good. How do people cope with joints drying and distorting or working loose due to shrinkage - I have it in mind to make some rustic shelving, for a greenhouse.

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
All woods season at different rates. sycamore is very quick while oak lasts years. It depends also on the diameter and length of the timber too.
As for joints, consider making anything with a 'tenon' first so that it dries out before you cut the 'mortices'. Then when the morticed timber dries it will lock onto the tenoned piece.
Some chair makers use this to great advantage.

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
Bundleman- that is exactly how i have been making stools for a few years, not had one joint fail, and also, if you can keep the wood in its original rounds then it is much stronger for a given diameter than sawn or turned wood. It really is a lovely way to make furniture.

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
It certainly is.
You can use natural rounds if they're not too large or they'll split. Cleft wood follows the grain, retains the natural strength and avoids this. Mike Abbots or Roy Underhills books are well recommended...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE