Green woodworking courses?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Just thought I'd put up a post to see if anyone is aware of Green Woodworking Courses located in the North of England (Yorkshire ish). I'd like to pay for my dad to go on one of these but I'm struggling to find a great deal.:(

I've Googled for them and came up with a couple of possibles:

LILI -Low Impact Living Initiative in Sheffield
Maurice Pyle Woodsmith in Beamish Museum.

Does anyone have any experience of these or know of any alternatives?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Try the bodgers website, they have a list of course providers, actually, I think that Maurice Pyle is on there as a matter of fact.
We wanted to bring him in to run a woodworking course for us but he preferred us to go to him so we found another provider.
I find him a pleasant and knowledgeable bloke.
No complaints about his courses and if your dad's interested in buying tools then I'm sure Maurice can sort him out.

regards
R.B.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What sort of green woodwork is your dad looking for? I do green wood carving courses. I find this very much more accessible than pole lathe turning as you need few tools, little space and your raw material is much easier to source too. We are 40 minutes from Sheffield in the Peak District.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
He doesn't know that he is getting it yet but I had in mind the basic stuff such as a stool, shavehorse etc. that these kind of courses tend to have you producing.

RW, I had a look at your website but couldn't find any details of courses, can you give me some idea of what you provide please?

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Hi Bob,
I live in West Yorkshire and attended one of Robin Wood's beginners courses last November. For £145 you get excellent tuition, lunch, a carving knife and wood to take home. I have no connection with Robin and haven't attended courses elsewhere, but can thoroughly recommend his courses. If your dad enjoys making utilitarian items from green wood he would gain a lot from the course. Once you learn the basics you can go on to make any number of carved items. If you (& of course your dad) may be interested you can contact me and I'll give you a students perspective. As I said I have no connection , only as a satisfied customer/student.
Cheers John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE