Green Fayre West Lancs 20-21 July

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
https://www.visitlancashire.com/whats-on/the-green-fayre-p666210

Anybody going? We are there the Sunday, the weather should be better and The Wife is shooting at or teaching Scouts with air rifles on the Saturday.

I really enjoyed the last one, came home with some carving knives cheap and a bootfull of what turned out to be fully seasoned elm and yew.

ATB

Tom

Very tempted, it's 1.5 hrs from us and there's a good camp site just North of there :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some year, before we all get too old and decrepit :) we need to organise a magical mystery tour of the UK. A trip right round the country, hitting everyone's patch, fitting in every event like that one that we can schedule :D
I think that would be brilliant :D

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
45 mins for us and we are only East Lancs, Not sure why it predicts so long. It don't start until 11 so time for a leisurly breakfast and git the road by 10.

I'll be the Big Fat Git in mutton chops and a moth eaten green tilley, probably dragging a big piece of wood around if its owt like last year.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well that was farcical. 2/3rds of the way there white smoke started puthering from under the bonnet. We pulled over on the hard shoulder of the M65 somewhere past Blackburn and it would seam there was no water or oil in the wifes Mondeo. The RAC were great but couldn't fix the water pump that was spewing liquid even when he had filled the engine with oil and replaced some belt that had been shredded and had caused the smoke.

Car now waiting outside her usual garage and the rest of us got home by free taxi, even if there was a long wait.

It seams that monthly checks happen to other people.

I hope everyone else had a great time.

ATB

Tom

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yes I did. Without doubt the best bit for me was the working wood - had a good chat with the 'bodger' ladies on the pole lathe and the clog maker. It was great to see Giles Newman and his work (not that I could ever afford any of it, £580 for a beautiful carved wooden pendant!). It was also nice to see a working blacksmith (Upholland Blacksmiths) actually working on the stand.

The Viking village was good - quite a few tents and plenty of folk happy to chat.

For me, it could do with more 'green' craftsmen and a little less 'tat' stalls but we didn't have kids with us so our interests were narrow.

All in all a good day out.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I assume most of the good stuff was at the top end and in the bit you turn off that loops under the trees? This assumes it was in roughly the same layout as last year, big reenactors field off to the left as you come in, a long track off to the right and the woodworkers mainly in the loop off to the left of that as you walk down that. There wasn't that many tat stalls last year so I assume the success of that has drawn them in. I was really hoping to see the young tree surgeon who let me have some big slabs of elm and yew last time for excellent prices which turned out to be fully seasoned not green as the price had led me to assume.. He was cutting them up for chopping boards mainly.

I've been picking up books on treen cheap ( well three and a fourth that's supposed to arrive today) and was hoping he would have some thinner elm and oak boards to use for some stuff I'd like to copy.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE