Green energy :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I guess in the west of Scotland that works up to a point. Here when the energy need is greatest we have -30C outside and no sun and no wind. One really has to be totally uneducated, dumb and green to be for these "renewables" in those conditions.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Right now some of my washing is back in the machine because the wind tore it off the line.....we have wind and rain, but sunshine, just not a lot, and most definitely not a lot in Winter....but we do have wind :) even at night we have wind.
And tides, regular as clockwork tides surging in and out; we need to do more with all that we have I think.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I rather like that idea. So cheap and easy. I'd have one if I had a suitable area, but I don't, so sadly, it's not for me here.
Years ago, (1990s) I remember someone at Glastonbury music festival had a small sail windmill to provide his electric. It worked well.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And when the wind drops, does it all come crashing down? Another April 1st article maybe?
It's a kite, well tethered ring of kites. They weigh almost nothing (I make kites) and yet they have an enormous lift. It's acting like a dynamo, and even a small trickle charge is a charge, especially on modern electronics. Phones, LED lights, that kind of thing...all done for something just whirling in the wind.
Good stuff :)

Reactions: Macaroon

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
I see that but when the wind drops the kite will fall so when you get home from work you're faced with a tangled mess from it flapping around all day and no power! In the clips I've seen he's stood flying the kite, not something I'd want to do for hours on end every day come rain or shine. The commercial version is planned to be autonomous and I hope he succeeds.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I see that but when the wind drops the kite will fall so when you get home from work you're faced with a tangled mess from it flapping around all day and no power! In the clips I've seen he's stood flying the kite, not something I'd want to do for hours on end every day come rain or shine. The commercial version is planned to be autonomous and I hope he succeeds.

It's very do-able to tether the upper end and just have the whole thing on spinners.
Loose like he has is great for demos or for a quick set up.....besides if you use modern carbon fibre that's curled, it'll just fold down without tangle anyway.

I know, I look for solutions not problems :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
There are a few of his setups that have it tethered at the top. The second clip and the very last one have it. Maybe others.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve seen advertising box kites tethered to pylons. They stay up all day.

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Ah so now there's a pole involved. So how does that differ from current wind turbines? Not to mention it's now tethered at both ends so cannot track the wind! His website says Shell are involved and plans to launch commercially this year!

Have you seen the Archimedes wind turbines? Seem like a neater solution to me.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ah so now there's a pole involved. So how does that differ from current wind turbines? Not to mention it's now tethered at both ends so cannot track the wind! His website says Shell are involved and plans to launch commercially this year!

Have you seen the Archimedes wind turbines? Seem like a neater solution to me.
I’ve seen a variety of suggestions. I assume you’ve seen Robert Murray-Smiths stuff?

All sorts of ideas there. The small wheat type is interesting as well as various turbines, etc.

I’ve actually got an ugrinsky turbine printed and in the garage to play with.

Reactions: Toddy

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Never heard of him, I'll have a look.

Anything I can put together from scrap and easily maintain has my vote.

Whilst I do believe harnessing wind power is definitely the way to go I don't foresee everyone having their own system so ultimately the majority will still depend on the grid, regardless of where it comes from. The key to making it work is not in finding more but using less.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Never heard of him, I'll have a look.

Anything I can put together from scrap and easily maintain has my vote.

Whilst I do believe harnessing wind power is definitely the way to go I don't foresee everyone having their own system so ultimately the majority will still depend on the grid, regardless of where it comes from. The key to making it work is not in finding more but using less.
I think multipronged thinking is needed and stuff like Robert is doing is really interesting to me as some of the ideas are just so different.

He’s here:

Lots to get into but a few different things….

Reactions: Megatramp

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Thanks for that, you've now cost me time and electricity!

I like the look of that airloom model, not sure his version could be scaled up though but I'd like to see it done!:headbang:

R (9).jpeg
Look mom, I'm saving energy!!

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
It's easy to get lost in the "wow that looks clever" and lose track of the bottom line, ie what's the cost of the energy it generates across its lifespan?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It's easy to get lost in the "wow that looks clever" and lose track of the bottom line, ie what's the cost of the energy it generates across its lifespan?
Absolutely. If you look at that video of the wheat grass generator I posted above then he talks about needing to get production cost lower.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE