Great Thermals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cal in when you are passing Nicola! We have five or six circling the cottage at a time - lots of owls, sparrowhawks, the occasional perregrine and rarely a kite or two as well (wish we had more of them - but sadly not so often).

If BB has been doing the laundry and its a nice day you might even see the thermals too :D

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Aaah - the secret there is have them fly 30' above your back garden :D

Actually a manual (twisty ring) zoom really helps - one hand on the zoom, one on the shutter release. I set to 135mm, find the bird, zoom to 400mm and track with the left hand (you can zoom right in in a split second) then part depress the shutter release to find focus. I set the focus to continually re-focus and whack on the "motor drive" and blaze off about 50 shots whilst tracking the bird. If I lose it, quick twist out to 135 and start again.

Not sure that makes sense but you get the idea - the continual re-focus function is dead handy when they are circling

Red

Well we do have buzzards around the farm here, I disturbed one today on my way in from work. I am not able to all that with my camera, but that makes a lot of sence..

Gailainne

Life Member
Hi Red

As usual some lovely compositions, I work at a refinery, and we are lucky to not only have kestrels nesting in the tank farm (large 35m+ dia x 10m high storage tanks) we also have a local population of buzzards and a pair of perregrines, there are also reputed to be at least 1 sparrowhawk, but I've never seen one. Its amazing to come round a corner and spot a perregrine sitting on a sign, or watch the buzzards soar in the thermals above the tanks.

Thanks for sharing

Stephen

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Those were done using a Sigma 135-400mm (1:4.5-5.6 APO DG). Its a long old beast but it gets you real close - a pig to hand hold though!

Red

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yep, those digi SLR's, big lenses and the ability to reel off 300 frames for one good shot certainly help,

gull6a-1.jpg

Different crop of the same original image

gull6aa.jpg

and a Kestrel, all pics taken from the back garden

kestrel3.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Last year whilst putting a traditional roof on a house and walking across the six inch wide girder about 20 feet up my mate who was working on the same site pointed out that there were ten buzzards circling above me.

He suggested that they were waiting for me to fall but in fact it was just a place that had really good thermals.

It was fairly usual to see six or so but I have never seen ten before or after.

Good pictures.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
Last year whilst putting a traditional roof on a house and walking across the six inch wide girder about 20 feet up my mate who was working on the same site pointed out that there were ten buzzards circling above me.

He suggested that they were waiting for me to fall but in fact it was just a place that had really good thermals.

It was fairly usual to see six or so but I have never seen ten before or after.

Good pictures.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Jon, try for kestrels, they make life easier by hanging still in the air for a while!

Tis true, but most of the times I see kestrels, it is me that is moving and not the bird, with me doing 70 down the motorway and the kestrel hovering above the verge..

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats BB coming out of the mist Jon :)

She sends hugs btw (think she needs up - bleeding boilers gone west again - still fire is roaring)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE