Great crested newt.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I was pond dipping with my 10 year old daughter yesterday, we found loads of the usual spawn, frogs, newts, larvae and nymphs etc. Afterwards we came in and got the computer out to research the things that we had found. We discovered that Great crested newts are in real trouble and that we live in one of the very few areas in Cornwall that they have been found. They are nearly absent from Cornwall, Devon,Wales and Scotland apparently. It would be great if those of you that have ponds could have a little peek around to see if you are lucky enough to have one in your pond. I would love to think that they are secretly here and there, flying under the radar! They are very protected by law so please do not capture them or cause them any undue stress. If you do not already have a pond but have a tiny space to squeeze one in, you would not regret it, it is truly amazing to watch the dragonflies and damselflies mating and laying eggs and to see just how many creatures will move in to your pond, whether it is big or small.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Our next-door neighbours have Great Crested newts in their swimming pool sized pond here in Oxfordshire, and happily swim with our neighbours. They are very carefully cossetted under supervision from Oxford University experts(the Newts, not the neighbours!). Our 11 year old grandson has introduced Great Crested newts to a small, purpose-built small pond in the back garden in the middle of Oxford- again under supervision and professional monitoring.

We have fish in our pond, so are unable to offer a suitable home for newts. Even the tadpoles have a hard time getting to froglet stage. I envy our neighbours and our grandson because Great Crested Newts are delightful creatures to watch. I share your optimistic view: they are hard to see unless being looked for and there probably are more plentiful than we know. As with so much wildlife, the problem is potential destruction of habitat when their presence is not identified.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE