Grayl Water Filter Bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone have or able to review the Grayl Water Filter Bottles?

Not seen much about them but have access to them.

Cheers

Reactions: CLEM

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I bought the original of Kickstarter and my short review will be on my usage. Specs and stuff you can get of the Interweb.

I had a MSR water filter which blocked as soon as you looked at it rendering it useless within a litre. I live in Scotland and usually rely on open source water with no real problems but had some odd tasting stuff from Lochs and with some foreign travel planned I thought I'd give it a shot.

Regarding the overseas travel I was conscious of the health issues around water but also the disastrous effect of plastic bottles and the relative expense and time wasted sourcing water.

I felt that this would be an ideal solution for UK outdoors and foreign fields and so far, after 4 years, I think I made a good decision.

It's cost is cheaper than the rufty tufty MSR types which do offer connectivity to Nalgenes etc but this is a simple unit that carries well and hasn't let me down.

I carry it instead of water bottles in the UK as water is so plentiful and when travelling (remember that?) I take it in my hand luggage and in my touring day bag as it carries 500ml and can be drunk from but I can refill at every tap I can find. I can also decant into other bottles on the hoof or back in the hotel room for the next day. No plastic bottles any more.

So far, Nepal, Egypt and Australia and if I lost it I would replace it straight away and have caused the purchase of Grayls by friends after they'd used them. Even borrowed by a travelling son who avoided much illness in Nepal that took out all his friends.

I'm that time no damage to the plastic and I added a carabiner to the lid to secure it to a bag.

Criticisms? Slowish to pump through but we're only talking long seconds not minutes. And small relative capacity as a vessel but it's a compact unit.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I bought the original of Kickstarter and my short review will be on my usage. Specs and stuff you can get of the Interweb.

I had a MSR water filter which blocked as soon as you looked at it rendering it useless within a litre. I live in Scotland and usually rely on open source water with no real problems but had some odd tasting stuff from Lochs and with some foreign travel planned I thought I'd give it a shot.

Regarding the overseas travel I was conscious of the health issues around water but also the disastrous effect of plastic bottles and the relative expense and time wasted sourcing water.

I felt that this would be an ideal solution for UK outdoors and foreign fields and so far, after 4 years, I think I made a good decision.

It's cost is cheaper than the rufty tufty MSR types which do offer connectivity to Nalgenes etc but this is a simple unit that carries well and hasn't let me down.

I carry it instead of water bottles in the UK as water is so plentiful and when travelling (remember that?) I take it in my hand luggage and in my touring day bag as it carries 500ml and can be drunk from but I can refill at every tap I can find. I can also decant into other bottles on the hoof or back in the hotel room for the next day. No plastic bottles any more.

So far, Nepal, Egypt and Australia and if I lost it I would replace it straight away and have caused the purchase of Grayls by friends after they'd used them. Even borrowed by a travelling son who avoided much illness in Nepal that took out all his friends.

I'm that time no damage to the plastic and I added a carabiner to the lid to secure it to a bag.

Criticisms? Slowish to pump through but we're only talking long seconds not minutes. And small relative capacity as a vessel but it's a compact unit.

Thank You.

So if you lost it today, You would buy a new one tomorrow?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Yep, it's on that very rare shelf of useful stuff to keep.

I am aware that there is a new design but mine is the original. Oddly I've seen them for sale over the counter at a big Outdoor store in Scotland... Tisos.

Reactions: TeeDee

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've been umming and ahhhing over getting one of these..... thanks for the timely review!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I bought the ultralight version a while back (it's the same as the geopress but a smaller volume/package). Broadly speaking, I've been very impressed by it. It filters quickly, its robust and is easy to maintain.

One of the stand out features for me is that it can also remove chemicals (you don't get that with the smaller/similarly priced filters from MSR, Katadyn and Sawyer).

I've also yet to see/read a bad review about the product and there's a fair amount out there on t'interweb!

Reactions: TeeDee

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Only good for 250 litres before a £20 replacement filter required?
Fair comment, the filters can be a little pricey, but it's worth putting into perspective how much you might use the filter. When I got mine, Amazon were doing a deal in which you could get a spare filter with your purchase.

Personally, in normal circumstances (when we're not locked down!!), I will go out camping once a month, every month. If I filter two litres of water on every camp (unlikely) then potentially I'm good for nigh on 10 years!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
All filters need replacing at some point; 250 litres is quite a lot of water when you're out-and-about and I wouldn't say that £20 is excruciatingly painful for a replacement, particularly if it ensures you avoid the 'joys of giardia'.

Reactions: leanrascal

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Guys and Girls - I've spoken to my contact who admittedly is a small scale business owner and although he is willing to participate in a group buy the unit price he can offer is going to be beaten by a lot of the online deals you can find via a good google search. Cheers.

Reactions: CLEM

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've ordered a Geopress. Looks a good bit of kit.

One filter is good for 350 cycles of purification.

I should add its actually a Purifier as opposed to a Filter.

Details of what that actually means in this Vid.

Last edited:
Reactions: leanrascal and CLEM

Early P

Mar 8, 2021
Sheffield
Does anyone have or able to review the Grayl Water Filter Bottles?

Not seen much about them but have access to them.

Cheers
I bought the G3 in stainless and black with a purifier spare cartridge last year for just under £50 for the both. It sat in a drawer forgotten about until a couple of months ago. The only water i usually take with me is in a 1l canteen to make tea with. The spare canteen carries cognac. Anyway, there was a day in march when the temp hit 20c and i had used up all my water by nightfall. It wasn't too much of a problem as water gathering is never a problem ont moors but i wasn't suffering and couldn't be bothered to filter and boil. I decided to take my Grayl the next time, which i did. Having been extremely ill having once drunk untreated ditch water from the side of a road in Armenia i am very wary of drinking anything that doesn't come from a UK tap or a pet bottle. But having spent 50 quid and having read all the reviews i needed to put this to the test. I set up my camp close to a path back home so i could crawl back home if needed and went and filled the flask with stagnant and smelly water from a hollow. Just like a coffee press in operation and simple to use it provided me with just under a pint of clear and non smelling water. I was extremely apprehensive at first about drinking it and took a small swig. It tasted ok and i drank the rest over the next 30 minutes, with no ill effects. You have to have faith in your equipment, that it will do what it is supposed to when you need it to. My faith was reinforced by reading as many reviews as i could about this product. In the UK this allows for longer trips without having to visit human habitation to re up with water or take uo space carrying extra supplies of it. Make sure you get the orange purifier unit to go with it as the supplied grey colour one is just a filter unit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE