Grass snakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Went for a walk in the forest today and saw a couple of grass snakes by the river, its a shame there arent more adder about. And i dont ever recall seeing a smooth snake yet. Maybe ill have a look around some heathland next time.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am involved in reptile surveying at my local nature reserve, we get loads of slow worms and common lizards, quite a few grass snakes, but I have yet to find an adder there, let alone a smooth snake..... I do know where I can find adders round here though, they do like heathland areas and have seen a few in my local forest, as it has a lot of heathland...

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
there are lots of adders around East Grinstead, West Sussex, but the place I see most locally is Ashdown Forest, East Sussex which is a large SSSI mainly heathland. We also see quite a few Grass snakes as we have lots of ponds and streams locally and they seem to keep close to water

Chas

JDWilts

Aug 6, 2004
South West
I came on here today to post and see if anyone was seeing an upsurge in their sitings of grass snakes and found this post. Hmm I wonder if this has just answered my own question?

In the last two days and in two different locations (Northants and Warks) we have seen a couple of grass snakes. We have seen snakes before but never on consecutive days. Could this be more than coincedence? An effect of our slightly warmer annual temperatures on our reptillian population numbers?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
JDWilts said:
I came on here today to post and see if anyone was seeing an upsurge in their sitings of grass snakes and found this post. Hmm I wonder if this has just answered my own question?

In the last two days and in two different locations (Northants and Warks) we have seen a couple of grass snakes. We have seen snakes before but never on consecutive days. Could this be more than coincedence? An effect of our slightly warmer annual temperatures on our reptillian population numbers?
I should imagine, what with you being a mouse, it is very important to know where the snakes are, so you can avoid them....... :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE