Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've been thinking about getting one of these as I'd prefer an axe which is small and discreet and which will fit easily into my backpack. But is this axe too small for standard jobs?

Thanks.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
nope. the wildlife is a great tool. i much prefer it to the small forest axe.

how big are the "standard jobs" that you usually do?

you sometimes hear odd expressions like "big knives can do small jobs, but small knives can't do big jobs" and so on. actually, the reverse is true. it is often impossible to do a small job with a knife or axe that is too big. where as you can do a big job with a small tool, but, sometimes it takes longer.

axes are one of the most upwardly mobile tools. much more than knives and especially saws. look at the photo's of really old time lumberjacks cutting down astoundingly huge trees with comparitively tiny (but big to us) axes. then compare the ratio of axe size to wood being chopped in your neck of the woods.

cheers, and.

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
I've got a wildlife hatchet, and wouldn't swap it.

I use it for general chopping duties, but then I never need something too heavy. I'm never planning to do any camping where forestry is required.

It's big enough to cut firewood, and I've used it to split logs, but it's so easy to use one handed.

Best bit of kit I own.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
You've convinced me. I just needed to be assured that it wasn't some kind of toy and actually could be used for cutting up firewood effectively.

Hopefully I can source a good price for it.

Thanks. :You_Rock_

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey Zammo,

this is getting to be a habit but i would recommend these guy's

http://www.wilderness121.co.uk/

It's run by Rob and Mel and they are good people. If you print out their price list you'll find the GB axes. Drop them a line and ask for a quote on P&P...and they take paypal!

Let us know how you get on! ;)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
\approximate scale....

gbscale.jpg

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
i've got one to and it works great...

I use it together with with a folding saw and I get everything i want done!
I got mine from a dutch website, but they deliver only in the NL. Cost me about 70 euro's...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
firebreather said:
Add one pound delivery and its yours. So same price as above but you are buying it from a guy who comes on here and gives a great service.
What more can i say.

Im not associated with outdoor code at all I have just got kit from him and would recommend him to anyone.

Seconded. I would reccommend Andrew without a seconds hesitation. :)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Up until recently I only had a SFA but kept having a hankering for a smaller axe to take on day trips. Every time I tried someones Wildlife axe it just seemed too small. I have eventually got one but am not convinced that the convenience of it's size is worth the perceived loss of function.

I can happily use my SFA one handed and for most fine tasks. I also use it to split wood for the fire when out and about. The wildlife can do this but not as easily.

Like I say I like the idea of a smaller axe for the convenience but am not convinced the trade off in function is worth it. Also remember the smaller axe is far more dangerous as there is a much higher chance of you following through into your leg when splitting wood..

PS The original wildlife looks a better choice than the new one.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
MagiKelly said:
Like I say I like the idea of a smaller axe for the convenience but am not convinced the trade off in function is worth it. Also remember the smaller axe is far more dangerous as there is a much higher chance of you following through into your leg when splitting wood..

Dunno how you'd manage that, assuming you're using it in a halfway sensible manner.

Can't say I much fancy sawing up anything too big to split easily with the wildlife, especially not with a laplander saw. Sure, if you've got a chainsaw in the back of the van a bigger axe makes more sense, but for sticking in your pack and walking a few miles?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
dommyracer said:
hmm, whats the deal with the changes in the wildlife hatchet?

Anyone know when these changes were made?

the changes were made a couple of years ago. i remember justintime and myself doing a comparison chopping session at the wilderness gathering. i didn't go last year, so it must've been the one before.

the new one is styled more like a big version of the gb mini. you can see the different heads in the photo above. you can see that the tops of the heads aren't perfectly in line, so even though it might not look like it, the new helve is a tiny bit shorter to the grip than the old one.

the result of the tests were not wholly conclusive. it was felt that the older one chopped a bit better. it couldn't be proved that this wasn't due to a difference in sharpness as much as the half or threequarter inch difference in helve length. i think the idea behind the restyling was to incorporate some of the mini's features like being able to get more of your fingers right behind the cutting edge when holding the topof the handle for fine work. :bluThinki

cheers, and.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
firebreather said:
try here
http://outdoorcode.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=240

Add one pound delivery and its yours. So same price as above but you are buying it from a guy who comes on here and gives a great service.
What more can i say.

Im not associated with outdoor code at all I have just got kit from him and would recommend him to anyone.

Thanks i'll probably use them, he done me a good deal on a Swandri so I know I can rely on him. :beerchug:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I'll go against the general tone of the thread.
Had a Wildlife and found it wanting when it came to actual use. Too small, not enough weight and could do what a good big woodlore knife could do.
Sold it and got a SFA-which is perfect.
Admittedly it is bigger but it copes with things beyong that of a knife/baton combo and for finer work I just choke up on the handle.
I'll get me coat....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm halfway on this. The SFA is heavy for packing a long way, the wildlife was just a little too light. Hence the Cegga / Red Hunter design. Longer than the Wildlife. Lighter than the SFA. More like the old head. Its all about compromises as always. Does weight or cutting power matter more?

Red

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
gregorach said:
Dunno how you'd manage that, assuming you're using it in a halfway sensible manner.

Sort of true but if distracted the longer axe hits the ground before it hits your leg ;)

gregorach said:
Can't say I much fancy sawing up anything too big to split easily with the wildlife, especially not with a laplander saw. Sure, if you've got a chainsaw in the back of the van a bigger axe makes more sense, but for sticking in your pack and walking a few miles?

Not a chainsaw but I do have a 24" buck saw that is not much heavier than a laplander and sets up just as quick.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/quick_buck_saw.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE