Gransfors Ceramic Axe Stone

N

Nomad

I'm thinking of getting a Gransfors ceramic axe sharpening stone. I'm leaning towards the ceramic one after being impressed with the Spyderco double stuff, which seems very tough.

Is the ceramic axe stone better than the normal one? Anyone know of a better price than Ray Mears at £26? (With postage at £3.50, Uncle Ray works out pretty good if I order a 12cm Zebra from there as well.)

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
I got mine on ebay for 18.50 freepost, but he seller has sold out. I can't say if its better than nything else as it's the only one I've got.
I do like it though....
Paul

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Any form of axe stone is a "finishing" treatment - the final step. They work and in some circumstances I would use one (if packing a kit for long term wilderness living without resupply). That said, You can't get away without all three steps, first cut / b@stard file, second cut / diamond file and a finishing system (wet / dry, stone etc.). Axes aren't knives - you WILL dink and chip the blade. I'd rather have a cheap version of all three parts than a good version of one. For £20 you can get a decent mill file, diamd hones and a load of wet n dry.

N

Nomad

I understand that it's the finishing bit, and am aware that my present file could probably cut better (but I bought a cheapie a few years ago...), and that I don't have any diamond wossanmes yet. These issues will be addressed in due course. Regarding the stone, I'm not looking for the cheapest possible functional option (nor did I ask about that). Were the that the primary, and quite possibly overriding, criterion in selecting equipment, we'd all be using Hultafors and Moras.

Cost is relative, value is perceived, and preference is personal. How many pints of beer, or feeds in a restaurant, does it take to convert a pile of wet n dry into a stone that will last, say, 20 years? About a quid's worth a year, I reckon (or a couple of decent gulps of a pint, or mouthfuls of steak, per year). I could faff about with bits of paper for 20 years, or I could forego 6 pints or one steak dinner over the same two decades and get some proper (in my view) kit.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have a cheap metal file from the diy store for re-profiling at home and for field sharpening I carry the gransfors axe diamond file( less aggressive than a metal file) and use this combination with the pocket stone I use for my knife. Razor sharp is no problem

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Nomad, if you can afford it - get it :) money is spent anyway, so as you say it's only a difference where in a pub or on a stone :) I don't own one, but the double sided round stone that my friend has got works really well. About wet and dry, I'm using it for about 5 years now on different knives and axes and I could say that by now I have spent about a half proper japanese water stones worth of money, because high grits like 2000 cost a little more and wheres out quickly and I still think about a water stone... If I would have bought it in the first place it would have paid out (almost) by now. :) If you only sharpen knives now and then "5 pound sharpening kit" is great.
Andy

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
The natural stone one is really good and handy to use. I was told however that they are made for Gransfors by a little chap with a quarry in his back garden so to speak. As such they are limited supply so are in and out of stock. My understanding is this is why the ceramic option came about to keep up with demand. Not tried it so not sure if its any good.
However the puck design works well. You can grip the stone well with one hand, hold the axe with the other and using small circular motion add the final edge. I have a small fine file to clean any dings. However I try very hard not to need this.
Buy the Gransfors if you have the option, I use mine, and even use it on the knife as well.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Buy it, it'll last you years and years. I picked one up in September, so I haven't used it a great deal but I like it so far. I would probably have had the natural stone if it had been available, not for any performance benefits, simply because I like natural materials. It doesn't look synthetic anyhow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE