Gransfors Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I can't suggest a cheaper Gransfors SFA, however I read a comparative review of one alongside a Wetterligs LHA and I'd go for the Wetterlings myself. Probably get one for under £30 if you shopped around...Review HERE

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
wanderinstar said:
Hi all,
Where is the cheapest place that I can buy a SFA? The cheapest Ive found so far is £40 all in. Can anyone better that?
Ian.

Rob and Mel's shop on Ebay don't list them, but I've a printed list from Rob that shows them cheaper.

Not sure about postage, though. Rob? :D

Could use "Bush Post" if coming to a meetup, I guess...

Jim.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Where is the cheapest place that I can buy a SFA? The cheapest Ive found so far is £40 all in. Can anyone better that?
Cheapest doesn't always mean the best ;)
I like an axe with a good vertical grain and I'd much prefer to pay that little extra to one of the guys here to have them pick the best of the bunch .... rather than getting it cheap from some place on the internet where i get the luck of the draw.

:)
Ed

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
If you are going to buy one online, then get the seller to email you with a picture of his stock, then you can choose. If he/she are serious about selling them, then I am sure that they will oblige. Dont be shy at asking for more detailed pics of the ones that go on your short list.

Part of the nice thing about the GB axes is that you can pick up some really attractive ones.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Between the GB and the wetterlings id go for the extra dosh and get a GB they are a much better axe in my opinion quality and looks wise, i have quite a few axes and you would never get me to part with any of my GB's ..

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ed said:
Cheapest doesn't always mean the best ;)
I like an axe with a good vertical grain and I'd much prefer to pay that little extra to one of the guys here to have them pick the best of the bunch .... rather than getting it cheap from some place on the internet where i get the luck of the draw.

:)
Ed

Speakingof which your should arrive tomorrow! ;)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Finally got hold of my Wetterlings SHA (15H) which has been on order for a while.

It seems like a nice axe - the handle has a nice straight grain, and the head seems well weighted and fits well, yet the whole thing is small enough to fit in my rucksack easily enough.

It comes with a leather blade cover which has a built-in belt-strap for ease of carrying.

The blade edge is sharpened, but not to extremes, and could probably do with a bit of evening up and extra sharpening.

All in all, a very nice looking axe, and very reasonably priced too!

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
match said:
Finally got hold of my Wetterlings SHA (15H) which has been on order for a while.

It seems like a nice axe - the handle has a nice straight grain, and the head seems well weighted and fits well, yet the whole thing is small enough to fit in my rucksack easily enough.

It comes with a leather blade cover which has a built-in belt-strap for ease of carrying.

The blade edge is sharpened, but not to extremes, and could probably do with a bit of evening up and extra sharpening.

All in all, a very nice looking axe, and very reasonably priced too!

Hi Match, where did you order it from? I want to get a Wetterling's over a GB simply because it is a bit of a luxury toy for me rather than a tool that will get a lot of serious use, so the lower cost is attractive ;)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
http://www.extremeoutdoorgear.co.uk

You may have to wait a while as I think the guy there is fairly small scale and orders them in, rather than keeping them in stock - mine took a month to arrive.

Saying that, he has just obviously received some (as I got mine) so he may have some in stock - the site now also contains a few newer Wetterlings, so you might decide to pick a different model.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
gransfor axes

get mine from above at weald and down outdoor museum - usually has them in stock, price includes postage. Ordered mini last month and arrived in a day, have just ordered carpenters and will arrive next week once their order is in (probably quite popular this time of year).

some days he's so busy you may have to leave message, but he will ring back in my experiance normally the same day. Can order over phone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE