Granfors Decapitator

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Moonraker said:
Great experimental work on the antler axe Torjus :)

Recent experimental archaeological research points to the use of antler axe type implements for general wood working and especially for wood splitting. Here is the conclusion to a recent paper which explains this;

source: An examination of Stone Age/Bronze Age adzes and axes of red deer ( Cervus elaphus L.) antler from the Leine Valley, near Hannover. European Journal of Wildlife Research. Volume 50, Number 4 / December, 2004. 197-206 (subscription only or via ATHENS required)

Also, I can see one issue with forming an axe blade like that is that although the antler is hard the blade edge will always be formed including part of the softer substantia spongiosa or spongy 'core' of the antler thus making it liable to deform like in the video when in use.

If you look at this example which is being used to cut oak, the blade is across the antler and the edge formed from the harder, more resilient cortical compacta or hard outer layer which means the blade edge will be harder and better able to resist wear from use.

bcuk-pleyer1995-antler_burr_axe.jpg

source: Pleyer R (1995) Herstellung und Einsatz von spatneolithischen Hirschgeweihaxten. In: Experimentelle Archaologie Bilanz.
Isensee Verlag, Oldenburg. 161–165

The evidence is clear when you see the size of oak felled and sectioned just with an antler axe made from only stone implements.

In proflie the blade is more like a 'scandi' blade, so maybe if it was worked and more like a convex profile it might cut better? But I can only imagine how much work there is to form the blade anyhow ;)

There is another good image of an antler axe here which is around 6,000-7,500 years old!;

Nordic Neolithic Stag Antler Axe

Torjus if you want more details pm me.

happy experimenting :)

The elk axe doesn't need to take soft piths into consideration as there are none in the thickest part. That is impossible with inferior antler like red deer.

I have made such axes as you show there of red deer antler. They are good, but in my opinion not as good as the heavy chopper as their edge sometimes chips off if you arn't careful. I am making a lighter version of reindeer antler right now. It is a too light for chopping heavy logs, but reindeer antler is extremely hard, maybe even harder than elk.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok try this for size when the Indians lived up here in new England there was no white tail deer the white men import then from Penn. after some of the woods became open fields at that time it was all forests so it must been stone axe or maybe moose antlers but we had no moose here either

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
oops56 said:
Ok try this for size when the Indians lived up here in new England there was no white tail deer the white men import then from Penn. after some of the woods became open fields at that time it was all forests so it must been stone axe or maybe moose antlers but we had no moose here either

To my knowledge, there is no archaeological evidence of antler being used as axes in America. It may very well have happened from time to time though. :)

PS! Just a tip, if you divide what you are writing up in sentences it is easier to understand what you are getting at. Especially for stupid foreigners, like me. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE