Grand designs.. bushcraft related

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
Just watching Grand designs now, and theres this bloke whos lived in the woods for 10 years, working in the woods, and living under canvas. Hes finally managed to achieve planning permission to build a full house.

But hes building it out of what he can get in the woods (wood) hes using traditional designs for forest housing, and non of his team are builders.

the host cant get his head around the fact all his plans are in his head, and not drawn up by some team of designers.

WHAT A GUY.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Wow thanks that's great - I'd have missed that and it looks good (and I've only lost 15
mins of it so that's OK).

It's on More4, channel 13 on Freeview and finishes at bed-time - 11.20pm :D

"Kevin McCloud returns to Sussex to see how Ben Law's handcrafted, self-sufficient
woodsman's cottage has changed over the last 18 months and how it has affected
Ben's life"

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ben was one of the guys who started the FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) that checks for the proper sustainable sources of wood here and abroad. He has two books published - The Woodland House aboth the house in question and the Woodland Way about woodland management and living

Red

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ben was one of the guys who started the FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) that checks for the proper sustainable sources of wood here and abroad. He has two books published - The Woodland House aboth the house in question and the Woodland Way about woodland management and living

Red

Great books. The woodland house is a bit of a coffee table book but still interesting, the woodland way is well worth getting hold of if you have an interest in sustainable living.
He also appeared in an episode of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls A Cook On The Wildside.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I too was surprised - but it may be pragmatic or it may even be a building requirement. It
sounds like there are lots of restrictions in place on his house :eek:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
wouldn't we all love to live in a house like that!?
Yes!

Dan - as I missed the first fifteen minutes... was the presenter unconvinced? He
seemed interested but obviously had to ask challenging-ish questions as I suppose
a lot of the audience (self included) would be thinking "but what about...?" and "how
would that work?" etc.

Lovely programme - I felt quite misty-eyed at the end, and the interior looked nothing
like how I'd imagined it to be. It looked quite 'normal'.

Anyway, thanks for spotting it.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I understand the principle behind it, I just think that deviates off his chosen course of building a house, thats all.
It's not like he's some neo-primitive. He uses a chainsaw and drives a landy. I'm sure he looked long and hard at all the alternatives and the membrane came out, on balance, as the most effective solution. He just wanted to build a home for himself that sat gently in the landscape, which he achieved.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
im just a little dissapointed that he used some synthetic membrane on the roof.

i think no matter how eco-friendly anyone tries to be, there comes a point where the proverbial cap has to be doffed to modern technology, especially for such a large project, and such an important part of it.
i'm sure the first of our ancestors to build his house from crudely shaped rock and lime walls took some stick,;
"rock and lime?? are you mad?"
to which he may have replied "i know sticks and cow dung keeps the heat in, but it smells like sh*t, and i'm trying something new"

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I know several folk who have built 'eco' houses and their general consensus is that a butyl rubber pond liner is the greenest solution for a waterproof membrane. Yes it does have to be shipped half way round the world but it is natural and ultimately biodegradable.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I know several folk who have built 'eco' houses and their general consensus is that a butyl rubber pond liner is the greenest soultion to a waterproof membrane. Yes it does have to be shipped half way round the world but it is natural and ultimately biodegradable.
Butyl isn't breathable which could be a major consideration in a strawbale/lime plastered structure.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I would have thought that the breatheability of the rest of the structure more than compensates for the impermeability of the butyl roof membrane.

Ogri the trog

On a primarily wooden structure, with recycled paper insulation in your roof the last thing you're going to want is condensation on the underside of your membrane.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE