GPS question from a beginner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I"m looking to plan a very very long walk in the UK next year. Would a Garmin or similar GPS equipped with the full UK map allow me to plan the route better than a zillion OS maps? I"ve never used GPS apart from in a vehicle.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I"m looking to plan a very very long walk in the UK next year. Would a Garmin or similar GPS equipped with the full UK map allow me to plan the route better than a zillion OS maps? I"ve never used GPS apart from in a vehicle.

Nope. Look at the Big Picture. I think you need a bunch of paper maps in a range of scales. Something like Google Maps might be useful.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

It's possible to download OS maps from iTunes and the app store for use on something like an I pad or I phone. You might find it worthwhile investigating that...

bearbait

IMHO the screen on a "hiker's" GPS is too small to do any significant planning. The amount of detail shown on the screen generally varies according to how far you are zoomed in or out whereas a paper map is at a constant zoom level (plus a magnifying glass for some bits!). I suggest that you see if you can borrow the relevant maps from your library, or at least plan on them in the library if they're reference library only. You can then transpose your planned route to the GPS by means of waypoints and so on. You may even be able to plan and draw your route on Google Earth (along with aforesaid OS maps) and transfer the track to the GPS to be followed. Remember to look at some of the long distance path guidebooks if your route goes anywhere near those. Also, for general info something along the lines of the Rough Guide To England/Wales/Wherever might be useful. There's bound to be some folks here on BCUK that can offer advice as to particular routes or points of interest in specific areas.

You could also take a look around the OS website as I know they've been easing up on some of the constraints on using data from their site. You might be able to do significant planning from the comfort of your desktop/lapdog on their website. IIRC you can even print off just some of the interesting bits to take with you.

If you're doing a long hike you're likely to be in some wild or exposed places occasionally. Having a map with you enables you to more easily plan or determine an "escape" route should weather/illness/accident deem such is necessary. It would be probably possible on a GPS alone but would be more fiddly, particularly if you are cold, wet and miserable!

As I found out recently (on Dartmoor)...just because there's a public right of way shown on the map doesn't necessarily mean there's a track on the ground! If this happens to you you'll need to be able to replan your route on the spot. (In my case it led straight into a bog!)

I hope you have a great trip: planning is a great part of it.

Last edited:

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I'll disagree with the other posters but with a bit of a caviat - you need to view a hand held hiking GPS as part of a system which includes a PC. You plan and plot your routes on the PC using one of a variety of software packages/mapping websites (memorymap, http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php, google maps etc) and then upload your route to the hand held unit.

I would therefore say that it's much easier to plan a long route on a PC using mapping software - I do it all the time for the 600km bike rides that I do and I use a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX unit to navigate when out cycling. You do, however, need to think about carrying some form of back up just in case the technology stops working.

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
In the June edition of trail magazine they have a-z books of 1:25000 mapping in a traditional A to Z format, they look good and will reduce the amount of maps you need. They are called A-Z adventurer books. £8 each, they may only be national park based though! Just a thought. May save on maps ! Then have a basic gps as back up !
Jim

bearbait

If you do decide to take maps (or some) you could send those you don't need for the current leg to a/several Post Office(s) as "Poste Restante" at one or more of your anticipated resupply points. When you get there collect maps, post the current ones back to home/base and on you go.

You'll likely need a means of recharging the batteries for your GPS.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'll disagree with the other posters but with a bit of a caviat - you need to view a hand held hiking GPS as part of a system which includes a PC. You plan and plot your routes on the PC using one of a variety of software packages/mapping websites (memorymap, http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php, google maps etc) and then upload your route to the hand held unit.

I would therefore say that it's much easier to plan a long route on a PC using mapping software - I do it all the time for the 600km bike rides that I do and I use a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX unit to navigate when out cycling. You do, however, need to think about carrying some form of back up just in case the technology stops working.

+1

I always plan my trips with one of the various on-line planners.

Gives you a great overview of the assent/decent and distance, once i've got a rough route planned out i'll then use my paper maps to get a better idea of the terrain (no OS maps of Greece).

I have done trips without a paper map and been fine, but to be honest i've also had times the GPS couldn't get a signal, another time i hadn't charged the battery 100% so it went flat 1/2 way through the walk.

So on-line planners are fantastic.
GPS is great, but it's accuracy and reliability isn't 100%.
I'd still strongly recommend you have a paper map and compass with you, just in case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE