Gourd Flask Tutorial (pic heavy)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I found this little horror at a carboot sale a couple of weeks ago. I bought her for 50p
originalgorud.jpg

Id been thinking of buying a gourd but the only ones I could find, in china town, where a shocking £18 so 50p was worth the extra effort of stripping the paint with commercial paintstripper. It didnt take to long.
I painted the red on first with hindsight I aught to have done that much later. I tried cutting the top off with a knife and it was clear I was more likely to injure myself. Its probably easy with the right equipment like a small drill or craft rotary blade, but I used my pyro pen to burn it off
gourd2.jpg
gourd3.jpg

Next I cleaned it out with a bottle brush. Ive no idea how old this gourd is, but presumably they are all similar. its filled with seeds and white membrane like a pumpkin and all this needs to be scraped out (seems to make excellent tinder to!)
gourd4.jpg
gourd5.jpg
Maybe these can be planted? needs 70 degrees to germinate anyway.

melt some beeswax. this took three sticks...
gourd6.jpg
gourd7.jpg

Swirl it round inside, rotate it slowly and keep adding the wax. I had to melt it in steps to first do the bottom half and then the top lobe finishing when the gourd was almost upside down. I think I got it all.
Then came the fun part. You can all probably guess what Im going to do with it next.
gourd8.jpg
gourd9.jpg

These knotwork designs are impossible to draw out on a flat surface and transfer, it had to be done freehand. I initially drew a dot pattern grid to help with the pattern but this proved more trouble than it was worth as the irregular shape of gourds means the pattern keeps having to be slightly adjusted. Its easier to pencil in a frame work and then bulk it out.
gourd10.jpg
I wanted something intricate on the bottom so when its lifted up to be drank from there isnt a boring empty patch. I needed to copy this design from a book as it was too difficult for me to make up (ive got the hang of inventing general knotwork chains but circular patterns are bloody hard!) Again, start with simple guidelines, preferebly with each bit in a diffierent colour if possible.
gourd11.jpg

a few days later...
gourd12.jpg

Sorr there is a bit of a jump in this last section, I got bored of photographing myself, and with a burning tool in my hand its not easy! The birds on the top I created myself, and the picture in the middle remains a little unfinished but I wanted to paint on the centre panel rather than burn it all. Its Raven stealing the sun in acrylic paint.
gourd13.jpg

gourd14.jpg

If youre headed to the moot, youre going to be lucky as that Morgans bottle is half full for a reason! (Im making a shocking brew with the other half!!) Im going to cork the bottle, it holds a pint and a half, and I want the raven with the sun in its mouth to be appropriate to the spices Ive added to the rum. heheh

Ps, the canoe paddle in the background is todays work. Its not finished so Im not showing it till it is!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
WOWWW.:eek: ..what else is there to say...:wow1: .. what a beautiful piece of work, Lindsey....:notworthy :notworthy

And how long have you been doing the pyrography??? Sickening...:You_Rock_

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
The pyrography has taken over my life! If you can see on the beeswax melting picture, Ive even done all all our utensils. But with the canoe paddle, I think Im onto a winner. I live next door to a canoe shop, ive lived here a YEAR and never noticed!!! Ive been looking high and low for a canoe paddle that was cheap and Im mext door to this bloody shop (and I do mean next door!) I thought they just sold swimwear, its called waterworld so I never inside!! paddles for £36!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy​

Simply superb Lindsey. I'm still gobsmacked you're turning out such stunning work and you've only been doing pyrography for about 6 months.

Look forwad to seeing the paddle :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
unfinished would be best. I scraped the varnish off this using stripper and a teaspoon which scrapped better than any proper tool I own! however, when I burn it I keep getting caustic wafts of varnish, I suspect the varnish permiates the wood to some level, I heard its put on hot to seep in. can't be good to do this very often, plus the extra work involved in stripping it.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Love what you have manages to do with that tat. The design on the bottom is truely inspiring it really is :You_Rock_ , some way in the distance that is for me. Id of never though of using a gourd, my calabash pip is made from one so might have a go once ive got a better grip on my new machine. Was going to send you some pics got a Draven in the end really nice machine

unfinished would be best. I scraped the varnish off this using stripper and a teaspoon which scrapped better than any proper tool I own! however, when I burn it I keep getting caustic wafts of varnish, I suspect the varnish permiates the wood to some level, I heard its put on hot to seep in. can't be good to do this very often, plus the extra work involved in stripping it.

Im in the process of making some paddles from blanks from apache mainly cos i cant afford a pre made otter tail; the workshops got to earn its keep somehow :) . If it come out well (and it ought to really) i'll make you paddle in exchange for a lesson or 2?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Love what you have manages to do with that tat. The design on the bottom is truely inspiring it really is :You_Rock_ , some way in the distance that is for me. Id of never though of using a gourd, my calabash pip is made from one so might have a go once ive got a better grip on my new machine. Was going to send you some pics got a Draven in the end really nice machine

Im in the process of making some paddles from blanks from apache mainly cos i cant afford a pre made otter tail; the workshops got to earn its keep somehow :) . If it come out well (and it ought to really) i'll make you paddle in exchange for a lesson or 2?

Oh yes definately! I was going to order some from apache, but there was more work to be done on the unfinished ones than Im capable. I figured if I made a paddle and somebody wanted to use it, Id want it to be reliable. As I dont know the first thing about woodwork I could easily botch the job. So definately give you some lessons in exchange for a fiished blank:D

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Will, I would maybe be interested in a finished paddle blank too, lol you could then send it straight to Lindz for the art work bits. Assuming you would both be interested in doing this and the price was within my budget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE