Got some steel, what now?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
I've manage to get hold of some steel in the form of four 4ft long road pins. These are used for setting out new road levels and are extremely strong and heavy. The picture is of a section that I cut today. How do I know/find out if this is any good for making knives? If it is suitable and anybody would like some just pm me.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

ATB

Stinky

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
The most reliable method to test whether a steel is good for knife making is to heat it to orange heat and quench it in oil or water. After its cooled, test it by trying to file it, if the file digs in, its not hard and would not make a good knife, if the file skates off, then its hard and will make a knife.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
stinky if your using charcole you will need to provide an air supply like you would in a forge charcole alone won't get hot enough to heat the steel.

my .02

dean

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Many thanks guys.
That's a very impressive set up you've got Shing I've got a feeling I may be contacting you when my birthday comes round again!!

ATB

Stinky

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE