Got caught out yesterday.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
For what its worth that Limitless Equipment one I ordered is pish! I've no doubt @reflexmedical will do a far better job.

To start with they sent me the case without any kit. Then they sent me the kit in a plastic bag after complaining and expected me to put it all together myself.

All in all, I kept the trauma scissors but ended up reverting back to my own self made kit.

Here's my kit now. With a handy velcro patch so it can be attached to front/side of pack and is easily detachable should I need it. Obviously hidden away in various pockets and pouches is a lot more than the picture shows.
94c65a02250a23c73d391b9f24a1fdcc.jpg
90ad5e82fbbd3e67208a7280dd8cb852.jpg
3366d91e6a15e5a2340ab8d9a2abc527.jpg
ef0dc33cf8e4b14d1beeacb3841f1719.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

reflexmedical

Apr 22, 2020
UK
For what its worth that Limitless Equipment one I ordered is pish! I've no doubt @reflexmedical will do a far better job.

To start with they sent me the case without any kit. Then they sent me the kit in a plastic bag after complaining and expected me to put it all together myself.

All in all, I kept the trauma scissors but ended up reverting back to my own self made kit.

Here's my kit now. With a handy velcro patch so it can be attached to front/side of pack and is easily detachable should I need it. Obviously hidden away in various pockets and pouches is a lot more than the picture shows.
94c65a02250a23c73d391b9f24a1fdcc.jpg
90ad5e82fbbd3e67208a7280dd8cb852.jpg
3366d91e6a15e5a2340ab8d9a2abc527.jpg
ef0dc33cf8e4b14d1beeacb3841f1719.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

We'd like to think we can do a better job! :)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Hey Dee, what bothered me the most is the speed in which it all happened, looking back i had just become complacent, in more ways than one, I’m definitely not ashamed, it was completely my fault and have learned from it

What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger, sounds like a hard lesson to learn and a good warning for us all, as I am sure we all get complacent at times with sharps

Hope it’s healing okay and doesn’t leave scar issues etc.

Reactions: Short_edc

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger, sounds like a hard lesson to learn and a good warning for us all, as I am sure we all get complacent at times with sharps

Hope it’s healing okay and doesn’t leave scar issues etc.
All healed up now mate, the scar is a nasty one but it’s a reminder atleast, I’m just lucky I wasn’t alone In the woods, it could have been a very bad day, thumbs still abit numb tho lol

Reactions: MrEd

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
When it came to that part of the protocol, I could not remember the acronym SAMPLE. I had used it for 16 hours just seven days prior! I had to stand up, walk away from the patient, and take a few breaths. When I remembered it, I returned and was able to collect the information.
Had this advice from a Paramedic and he basically said when this happens to go get a blanket as it is an action so positive and it does what you said gives you a breather.

Quite right. I still think First Aid Classes should be mandatorily taught as part of the school curriculum.

Agree with this however I know someone who never had a problem in training and then fell apart in the real world. Also I know I can do it however would not want to do it constantly for a job.

Ref courses it really important to remember the normal courses are for people who expect an ambulance to be 8 minutes away. The wilderness courses tend to expect you to wait at least 30 minutes for help.

The velcro pouch idea I have seen and turned all of my kits to them. It means everyone can find your kit because it on the outside and you do not have to dig through kit to find it.

Reactions: woodsorrel
Hello everyone, about 3 years ago i had surgery on my hand. This was done at the local hospital in the operating room, under local anasethic. The surgeon also applied a tourniquet to my upper arm above my bicep. The surgery lasted about 20 mins. It wasn't the surgery that bother'd me it was the biggest relief to have the bloody tourniquet removed. If you are going to carry advanced equipment, you should also know how to use it.I could not believe how tight it was. I did a first aid course for the workplace 18 months ago. We were shown some very graphic photos of industrial accidents. We covered cpr, bleeding, burns and scolds, fractures and electric shock. So i hope i would be able to help someone if they need it .
Regards Chris.

Reactions: Bishop and TeeDee

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Hello everyone, about 3 years ago i had surgery on my hand. This was done at the local hospital in the operating room, under local anasethic. The surgeon also applied a tourniquet to my upper arm above my bicep. The surgery lasted about 20 mins. It wasn't the surgery that bother'd me it was the biggest relief to have the bloody tourniquet removed. If you are going to carry advanced equipment, you should also know how to use it.I could not believe how tight it was. I did a first aid course for the workplace 18 months ago. We were shown some very graphic photos of industrial accidents. We covered cpr, bleeding, burns and scolds, fractures and electric shock. So i hope i would be able to help someone if they need it .
Regards Chris.

I cannot agree more! A tourniquet incorrectly applied or for too long can do a lot of damage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Most of my injuries have been to my hand when a knife slips. You need to be able to apply whatever with one hand. I find a field dressing and gaffer tape to be the most effective and easiest. After that leave it to the professionals.

Reactions: Minotaur

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Most of my injuries have been to my hand when a knife slips. You need to be able to apply whatever with one hand. I find a field dressing and gaffer tape to be the most effective and easiest. After that leave it to the professionals.
With tourniquets such as the CAT or SOF I open them up and feed them through one section of the adjuster only, that way they can be applied with one hand. Putting the TQ on the injured arm and either laying on the windlass or pushing against something solid may allow for one handed tightening too.

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
Hi all, It’s awesome to see this thread still getting attention, it’s been awhile since I’ve been on, I’ve had catastrophic haemorrhage training through sar, as well as my search tech first aid training, I’ve had the chance to build my own bleeds kit, and practice with it abit, it consists of a cat t gen7 staged for one hand application, a 4” Israeli bandage, celox rapid z fold and some trauma shears, I have two of these one on me all the time and one in my truck, Goes without saying PPE is always on my person these days as well as a sharpie to note time of application for the tq, I also have some 6”Israeli bandages and Olaes bandages in the truck and my load vest because there so versatile. I’ve spent a few quid on these things but most importantly the training I received has been priceless and it’s up to you how far you take your learning. Stay safe friends

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think that is the best idea as the point is to just stop the bleeding and get help under normal circumstances. You only need the advance stuff in the middle of nowhere however the impulse needs to be stop the bleeding.
One of the problems that worries about having all these first aid kits is that you need to monitior and restock them.
I have one in the car, one in the house, a minor kit in the house, one on my rucsac, and a bleed/minor injury key and an edc kit with a cpr face mask and gloves. I also check them once a year and the stuff ends up in minor kit and/or then gets thrown away. There is nothing worse than needing something and finding out it useless or dried out.

Black Moons

Jan 16, 2021
Canada
Glad to hear your ok! A tip from one carver to another, never cut towards yourself without supporting your arm. Your shoulders are amazing springs that like to release at the wrong time. Its much safer if you can support your elbow or use another finger to provide the pushing force.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE