Got a bit carried away

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just bottled up the bullace and damson "vodkas" for this year. It was a great year for fruit so I kept making when I found a few minutes. Now given this is just the vodkas and I still have to bottle up the whisky and gin, I think I may have gone a little nuts.

Bullace Vodka by British Red, on Flickr

Aaah well - most of it goes as gifts and barter so its all good :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

Aye, mebbe just a wee bit :D That lot will make for a merry old time.

Good stuff though; and I'm sure the barter network and the hampers, etc., will benefit greatly from your industry :cool:

I only made a bottle of gin and a bottle of whisky's worth this year. Froze a stash of the sloes for later though :)

atb,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was such an insane year for Bullaces it seemed a shame not too really - I must have used fifty pounds of them and my neighbour used a load more in a really nice Bullace wine recipe I intend to steal next year :). The bullace beer must be nearly ready too!

It does work as "thank you" gifts though - people always seem happy to take it whereas a "bought" bottle of spirits can cause some embarrassment. I do need to learn to make wicker hampers at some point though (although most people now return the hampers and jars for re-fills which helps). A half bottle of Damson vodka, a couple of jars of chutney and a little cake goes a long way with the friends and neighbours :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
That is a fine collection of bottles Red! I can only imagine all the foraging/fruit picking that preceded this.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
2 weeks worth there at most :D

Nice one mate, never had bullace vodka before.... have you sampled it yet or does it need to mature a little first?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
2 weeks worth there at most :D

Nice one mate, never had bullace vodka before.... have you sampled it yet or does it need to mature a little first?

Been making it since we moved here - its really nice - darker and less bitter than sloes but more robust than Damson

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
What a beautiful sight to behold! The gin sounds amazing, what sort of things would you consider in trade?

Also where do you buy all your base spirits... must be a lot?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shop around for base spirits - ensure you get any duty free and hit up the supermarkets when abroad in Europe. Failing that watch the offers - last time I stoked up it was two 1 litre bottles for £25.

The gifts and "barter" our stuff goes for is strictly local stuff - a thank you for the nice folk who give us joints of meat, eggs, chickens, veg, logs etc. throughout the year - didn't mean to imply I was offering up swapsies here - but I see how it read that way (sorry) :eek:

We have a tradition of giving made and grown stuff rather than bought - little hampers like these

Hampers by British Red, on Flickr

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
I can definitely vouch for bullace gin,never tried (or even heard of it before) but got given a shot by a keeper friend at the weekend and it definitely hit the spot. Looking forward to the next time I'm there and will hopefully get another one ! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE