Goretex

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Anybody know if Goretex has a shelf life of use before it is no good as a waterproof. Had one a while that is still waterproof but has lost its shine on the outside (for want of a better word).

Just wondered if it has a limit.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
You can restore the nap of Goretex to some degree by putting a damp cloth over the fabric and then ironing it. This will help extend its life but I'm afraid Goretex will wear out eventually - when depends on how much abuse you give it. There are some proprietary treatments available for cleaning & restoring but I'm not sure how effective these really are. I have never been overly impressed by Goretex, there are other types of waterproof out there that will do the job just as well, if not better.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Gore-Tex is a PTFE membrane, it's non reactive so it doesn't degrade. As long as the membrane isn't holed and the seam sealing doesn't peel off the garment will remain waterproof. However what you're experiencing is just the DWR treatment of the face fabric losing its effectiveness, you can restore it by heating in a tumble dryer for a few minutes. If heating doesn't restore surface beading then pop into an outdoor store and get a reproofing treatment.
This is what I've been taught by Gore reps and what I do to my own kit and they are as good as new. Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
My Berghaus Goretex started looking a bit 'faded' and wasn't wicking moisture as I expected or beading rain so it was treated with Nikwax Tech Wash / TX Direct and I'm really impressed. Besides the fact that the jacket looks years newer, the water beads very well on the outside and so far, has been excellent at wicking internal moisture.

You can pick up both on flea-bay for less than £10 so should be worth a try (IMHO)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE