Goretex storage, bivi bag in particular.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I read a while back that goretex bivi bags, and by extension I presume goretex products in general, should be stuffed in a stuff-sack and never folded/rolled up as apprantly goretex does not like to be folded in a predictable way for any length of time. It sounded a little unfounded to me, but considering how expensive our goretex kit is, I would love to know for sure if this has any truth to it as I currently store my army issue bivi bag tightly rolled up secured with a rubber band.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I think it is more that repeated folding along exactly the same fold lines can lead to delamination of the fabric after a while, which weakens the membrane (rather than something being folded for a period of time). I generally don't worry too much about it to be honest. If you were bothered, just make sure your folds are in slightly different places from the last time each time you pack something away.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Rolling can generate a lot of stress on the fabric, if you are trying to roll something tight. You shouldn't roll sleeping bags tightly for the same reason.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have hung my Berghaus Trango Extreme 3 layer taslan jacket since 1992 with a wooden coat hanger or it's been stuffed into my rucksac. No ill effect.

Some dry bags def. don't like being repeatedly folded on the same spot though.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
the most important thing with goretex is not how you fold it ,its the fact that it must be bone dry when you store it otherwise it will delaminate with the usual sign of this being surface bubbling on the fabric

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Any delicate fabric will benefit from not being folded the same way every time. The same is said about fine silks for example.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
the most important thing with goretex is not how you fold it ,its the fact that it must be bone dry when you store it otherwise it will delaminate with the usual sign of this being surface bubbling on the fabric

Well said. I learned that lesson the hard and expensive way years ago.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Mine was a brand new survval aids bivi bag, same again mate, late 80's. It bubbled up and delaminated after being stored wet for about a week.

Could have cried!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE